Tuesday, August 26, 2008

From Point A to Point B

Today marks the first day that Tyler has crawled his way from point A to point B. This morning, as I was getting ready, I sat him in his usual spot at the door to the bathroom. I keep toys there for him, and he usually just sits and plays and watches me dry my hair. Today, I no sooner turned around to pick up my hair dryer than that little guy made his way to my legs. I was in shock! Then, when I wasn't any fun, he made his way to the linen closet where the laundry basket provided enough entertainment for me to get my hair dry (although I worried the whole time that he would get further in the closet and find the toilet plunger...can you imagine?). He was the cutest little thing scooting across that floor. I wish I had had my camera with me right at that moment, but maybe I can get a video of our little crawler before the end of the week.

I've been thinking a lot about going from point A to point B the last few days, and I have a few examples for you.

On Sunday, I dressed Tyler in a precious little overalls outfit that came with a matching hat. The shirt underneath was yellow with blue and white stripes to match the embroidered cars on the overalls, and the hat had the same cars embroidered on it, as well. Every time Ty shows up at the nursery in a hat, the ladies just rave. Sunday was no different, and I was a proud mama (not that that's different from any other day).

The trouble with overalls, however, is that they are a nightmare to deal with during diaper changes, and, in this Texas weather, they get really hot. So, when we came home, I let Tyler take a nap in his shirt and diaper, and we ditched the overalls. When he woke up from his nap, I just could not bring myself to allow my child to hang out in the house without pants on, so I checked his drawer for a suitable pair of shorts. Unfortunately, my "growing like a weed" son has outgrown almost all of his 6 and 9 month shorts. The few pair that were available were a little too dressy for hanging around the house on a Sunday evening not long before bath time. So, I pulled out some of his p.j. shorts that are elastic waisted and very comfy. The patterns might have clashed horribly, but the colors were similar. I can't even believe I am showing you what I put him in, but I think it will make Papa Joe happy. His sense of style will tell him that this is a marvelous outfit. Stripes and plaids are right up his alley!! [Note: We adore Papa Joe. He knows he has questionable taste, and, therefore, relies on Mama Janet to dress him appropriately.]

So, point A was a precious overalls outfit, and point B was this:



Tonight we also had an episode of going from point A to point B. My child has a fascination with laundry baskets. I'll let the pictures do the talking:






This point A to point B experiment happened several times. I think Ty just wanted to make sure that the same causes resulted in the same effects. Isn't that last picture just priceless?!?!

Later tonight, after Ty's bath, he decided that he'd like to crawl around his room. I don't know if he realized that he was carrying his towel along with him. Point A: cute baby in the tub. Point B: cute, naked baby crawling around on the floor with a towel cape.





And, finally, we've had some sentimental walks down memory lane today. On this day, August 26th, in the year 2002, Danny officially joined the Air Force. It's been six years today. We've enjoyed many, many point As and point Bs in those six years, and we look forward to a whole lot more.

Rewind your clocks back to 2002 again. On September 6th that year, we welcomed sweet Lillian "Lilli" Hicks into our hearts, lives, and family. As we prepare for her 6th birthday, we also celebrate her first day of kindergarten today. I couldn't help but get teary-eyed looking at the pictures and thinking about that three week old, point A, infant that I held six years ago, and then seeing this almost six year old, point B, little girl with her Hello Kitty bookbag and her two missing teeth. Where did those six years go?

We love you, Lilli, and we are so, so proud of you. My eyes are tearing up again just thinking about how precious you are to me and Uncle Danny. Please don't grow up too fast. We want you to become all God wants you to be, but we also aren't quite ready for high school graduations, college applications, and weddings. Be patient with us. It's hard to let you go, even if it's in small steps. What a beautiful kindergartner you are!

As we reflect on our point As and point Bs, no matter how short or how long the distance in between might be, we must thank the Lord for His amazing gift of life, knowing that this isn't even a drop in the bucket of what's to come when we meet Him in heaven. I can't wait to see what that point B will be like!

4 comments:

Joy Peterson said...

What a sweet little post! I love that last pic of Ty with the basket on his head...and the towel cape made me smile...I love those days! Pretty soon, you'll be chasing him around the house while he runs with either a towel cape or butt naked! : )

We are truly blessed!

Bill said...

Tyler wears the stripes and plaids well! You are entering into a whole new phase, my dear. Joy is right, running around naked is the next stage.

Anonymous said...

Wponderful Jennifer , you have done it again. I loved everying you wrote and captured in pictures. Tyler , you are super no matter what you wear. We are about to leave for prayer meeting. Hope you have a great service at your church. Papa Joe

louanne said...

I had finally been tear free for 12 hours or so and then I read your blog. Thanks for posting about Lilli.
I love the pictures of Tyler and the clothes basket. I have some of Lilli when she was a baby that are similar.
Lilli also was very excited to see her picture on Aunt Jenn's blog.