Saturday, May 31, 2008

Quote of the Day

I have finally picked up a book to read. Since Tyler's birth, I have done next to zero pleasure reading, and that really stinks when reading is your favorite hobby. It dawned on me how pathetic my time spent reading had become when I realized that it was actually taking me an entire month to read my Parents magazine from cover to cover. I had previously made remarks about how ridiculous it was that they sent the magazine two weeks before the start of the month designated for that publication. Now, I understand why they give you two extra weeks; they certainly understand their audience!

So, I am reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I can't even tell you how many years it has been on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I bought it for a fantastic price when I really didn't need another novel, so it's taken the backseat to other books. Within the first few pages I was hooked, and that's always a good sign.

Tonight, as I was reading my allotted chapter, I came across this quote from the mother in the story. I thought it was quite poignant and worth sharing...



"In my previous life, I was a civil attorney. At one point I truly believed that was what I wanted to be-but that was before I'd been handed a fistful of crushed violets from a toddler. Before I understood that the smile of a child is a tattoo: indelible art."


I must have read those words ten times before I could move on. What a touching way to encapsulate motherhood. I hope it touches your heart as much as it touched mine.

Now, go get yourself a book!

4 comments:

Bill said...

I've been reading the Reagan Diaries since Hendley was 4 months old. I might be 1/3 of the way through the book so I know exactly how you feel! Good for you for picking up your hobby again!

Unknown said...

I love love love that book!!! Hope you continue to make time to get some reading time in each day!

Joy Peterson said...

Haven't read that one...maybe when you finish it, you can send it my way... Then again, I've been trying to read Boundaries for Kids since before Addison's birth....

For some reason, I can tear through those A List books....

Can't wait to see you this weekend!!! I am super excited!!!! I am thinking we'll have a Mexican fiesta SAturday night...complete with frozen drinks as well! Does that work for you?

Ginger Carter Miller said...

Jenn, when will you be in Milledgeville? I would love to see Tyler...don't know if you'll be somewhere where I can meet you to see him. (I will be back in town June 11 -- next Wednesday).