Monday, May 19, 2008

Since Joy scolded me (all the way from Europe, I might add) about not posting a new blog lately, I thought my first order of business today should be to catch my sweet blog readers up on what's happening with the Watsons.
First, Tyler has added a couple of new foods to his list: sweet potatoes and bananas. We gave him sweet potatoes for the first time on Friday, and he made a mess with orange goo everywhere! When he was given more sweet potatoes on Saturday, he became so eager about eating them that he kept bouncing in his seat to the point that I had to chase his mouth. It wound up on his nose at one point, and I snapped a picture. Very cute! I didn't get a picture of the bananas, but he really liked them, too.


Above: Sweet Potatoes, Day 1

Below: Sweet Potatoes, Day 2


Another new development is that Tyler has started really noticing Miss Kitty. He must like how soft she is, too, because he can't resist touching her fur every time she's within his arm's reach. We have to watch them both, though, because sometimes his little hands grab clumps of fur instead of just petting her. And, I just know he's going to pull one of her ears off one day. However, Miss Kitty has responded very well to baby Ty, probably because she's so desperate for someone to love on her, even if it's an infant with a death grip.


Reaching out for Miss Kitty
We spent most of the weekend just relaxing because last week was super-packed with activities every day. We just needed to wind down. We did a lot of snuggling...




And, finally, the Watsons have another new set of neighbors: barn swallows. It took me a while to figure out exactly what type of birds they are because their nests are very unique. They actually pick up dirt and/or silt in their mouths, moisten it with their saliva until it forms a roundish pellet, and then they stick it to the surface on which they are building their nest. Eventually, all these little spit pellets begin stacking up like brickwork, and then the nest begins taking the shape of a little cup. They also incorporate a little bit of grass and/or straw to hold the nest together and make it a little stronger.

We watched them busily build their nest on our back patio ceiling for a few days, and I think the female will soon lay her eggs. Once she does, we should have baby swallows within a couple of weeks. They are neat to watch, for sure.

The cutest part is that the male and female are like a married couple. They work together to build their nest, they take turns incubating the eggs and then raising their clutch, and they sleep together in their nest at night...here's a peek:



More Watson updates will come soon. Have a marvelous Monday!

5 comments:

Bill said...

Love that cuddle picture. You will be so glad you have that pic one day.

Y'all have moved to the real food now. Fun times!

Good bird lesson, and great picture of your two pets. Keep us posted on babies.

max harrell said...

Lizards and Birds, the Watson house is turning out to be the real hangout in Texas. It is a good thing Tyler is keeping Miss Kitty busy or she would have her a snack.
Carol

ps it was okay that you didn't blog for a few days I was out of town, but had I been home I would have been desperate for a Tyler update!

car said...

Your Tyler sure is growing. Enjoy reading your blogs and keeping up with the Watson Family.

Sincerely,

Carla and Mike Schmitt

Carly said...

You have a snuggle bunny on your hands! Ty gets cuter by the day. I think he's ready for a trip to Virginia! Im ready to meet your precious angel!!!

Anonymous said...

I love to hear you giggle. I watched you again tonight , and it was even better. I love you. Papa Joe