Friday, May 9, 2008

Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot

I have lived in a warm, southern climate my whole life, and I am completely accustom to hot and humid weather....or so I thought. But, when the thermometer hit a record-breaking 98 degrees in south Texas today with a 70ish% humidity, I found myself drenched in sweat and with a whole new appreciation for what "hot and humid" really means!

Because the temperature was supposed to be 90 degrees by noon, Tyler and I made it a point to take our walk in the morning hours. Unfortunately, it was already pretty miserable, and we were both thrilled to walk into our air conditioned house after 40 minutes and 2.5 miles. We decided to cut it short because of the heat stroke I was about to have. Poor Ty's cheeks were red as could be (and he was completely covered by the stroller shade with a couple of openings for the breeze to pass through) and his little romper was sweaty on the back. We immediately retreated to the bedroom to lay under the ceiling fan that was set on very high. Once we cooled off, we proceeded to have a pretty pleasant day.

Danny is taking on a new position at his office pretty soon, and he has already started making the transition. Today, a Lt Col JAG in the Air Force Reserves was promoted to Colonel, and Danny was primarily responsible for making the event happen. Fortunately (and not surprisingly), the man really liked Danny and asked that Tyler and I be there for the ceremony. Earlier I had told Danny that I didn't think we'd make it since it fell right during Ty's nap, but I thought it was important for us to show our support. I woke Ty up from a dead sleep (and paid the price later), and we headed to the base.

The ceremony was really nice and it is always fun to catch up with Danny's coworkers. I promise you, the Air Force JAG Corps is filled with the nicest people you've ever met in your life. No matter what base you are assigned to or where it is in the world, you will be welcomed and treated like family. It makes military life so much more bearable! And, they don't mind too much when your four month old squeals during the saying of the oath and the speeches that follow.

We got home and dealt with a severely cranky and tired baby, but we got him fed, bathed and asleep by 8:30 p.m. I haven't even heard a peep since then. I still sometimes worry that he's quit breathing when he's really quiet for long periods, so I am sure I'll peek in to check on him in a few minutes.

The biggest bummer of the day was Sonic's fault. That's right. I sent Danny to get me a Cherry Sprite while I was putting Ty to bed. I just wanted something really tasty to drink and that sounded like an excellent plan. He was so nice to play fetch for me, but when he returned and I took the first sip, I almost had to spit it in the sink. It tasted like carbonated water with zero sprite and zero cherry flavoring. To make matters worse, Danny bought a large, even though I'd asked for a medium, just to be nice. So, he paid a little extra for a drink that was completely poured down the drain. Don't you hate when something like that happens? If that was the worst moment of the day, I don't have anything to complain about!

We will be busy bears this weekend. Tomorrow our big plan is to head to Baby Depot to buy Ty an Exersaucer and maybe one of those bouncy, jumpy things. The infant swing and baby bouncy seat just aren't entertaining him anymore, so it's time to move on up! I think he'll be thrilled with a little more freedom and a couple of new ways to use those little legs. On Sunday, Tyler is going to be dedicated at our church. Because the church we joined is so large, they do baby dedications twice a year and they'll do yours at whichever service you regularly attend. Some of you are aware of the relentless spit-up problems we have been having with Tyler, and I am praying with all my heart that he doesn't spew all over the preacher in the middle of the service. While it would make a funny story later on, I would be immediately mortified. Here's hoping for the best!

We hope you and yours have a safe and happy Mother's Day weekend! God Bless Mama's everywhere!




This is post-walk. Look at those red cheeks! Oh, and the toes are all the rage these days!

He even holds his toes while he watches t.v. And, they are getting closer and closer to his mouth...

3 comments:

Bill said...

Funny post!

That Texas heat sounds HOT! The grass is always greener. Next week our high is only 60 one day, so I wish you could spare me about 15 degrees!

The Sonic fiasco makes me want to cry. I know how it is when you get your heart set on an old favorite and then it disappoints you.

It would have killed me too to wake Ty for the ceremony, but I know it meant a lot to Danny to show off his little man and beautiful wife.

Have fun this weekend. Stay cool.

Carly said...

This child gets cuter by the day!!! Im seeing some Danny in him this week.

Hope y'all have a great weekend. We'll be thinking about you on Sunday amd praying for no spit-ups:)

kyle hitchcock said...

congrats danny! wohoo!!! Love that little ty man...when are yall coming to see me? :-) love, kyle