Apparently, we bring dramatic weather-related records with us wherever we go.
The summer we moved to San Antonio, they had record rainfall. Last summer, as we prepared to move away from San Antonio, we enjoyed record high temperatures. Now, here in the D.C. area, we are enjoying record snowfall. In fact, tonight we are enjoying blizzard conditions.
I only hope we don't set any hurricane records when we move to Florida...
Growing up in Georgia, two inches of snow was considered a huge deal, so all of this snow I am seeing is like watching some sort of miracle happening right before my eyes. It is simply amazing. And absolutely beautiful.
I know the folks around here are tired of the white stuff, but I still can't get enough. Ty and I hovered by his bedroom windows for over an hour tonight waiting for the "snow cloud" (that's how he says snow plow) to come down our street again. Just when we were about to give up, we saw its headlights. I was still close enough to the windows to see what was happening and I started yelling, "Ty, Ty!! Hurry! Here it comes! Hurry!" His cute little self ran over as fast as he could. I'm not sure which of us was more excited.
Before that, I was holding Lydia near the front door and she was looking up at all the snow falling and reaching her sweet little hand out to try to catch a flake or two. It was precious. When it snowed in December, she didn't pay much attention to it. This time, she seems to be really curious about it.
Those are the memories that I pray will stay etched in my mind until the day I die. These babies aren't babies long and we may never see snow like this again in our lives. I am enjoying every moment!
One of my favorite memories from today was watching Tyler help his daddy shovel the snow. It's been snowing so hard all day long that any shoveling you do is almost immediately deemed a worthless task. The snow just covers everything right back up and it looks like you're the lazy neighbor who hasn't shoveled a bit. But, Ty loves to shovel the snow.
In an effort to encourage his helpfulness, we went looking for a kid-sized snow shovel. Two weeks ago, the stores had them in stock. Two days ago, they were all gone. I remembered that Toys R Us had just put out their beach and pool toy display and I had Danny go there to see if he could find a sand shovel that might do the trick in a pinch. Sure enough, he found a three piece set that included a shovel, rake, and hoe. Ty thinks the hoe is a vacuum cleaner, so he leaves it inside. The rake and shovel, however, have been put to good use already, and that boy would have been happy to have stayed in that snow all night long if I'd let him. Oh, he just melts my heart. He is an angel.
It's midnight now and we're supposed to get the heaviest snow between now and the early morning hours. The weather report showed that nine inches had already accumulated near the city, and they are thinking we're going to be at or above two feet by morning. As long as our power doesn't go out, I will be in hog heaven.
If the power goes out, though, I reserve the right to change my mind about this snow business!!!
Friday, February 5, 2010
Blizzard 2010
Posted by The Watsons at 10:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
You called it...
Post a Comment