Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mount Vernon

On Sunday, I took my mother and Tyler out to see Mount Vernon. I had not yet been there, and, honestly, wasn't too thrilled with the idea of going for a multitude of reasons--primarily because I'm not much of a history buff and because we were going during Tyler's regular nap time.

But, since that's the one thing my mother wanted to do while she was here over Thanksgiving, I obliged.

I'm glad I did because I would have missed a treasure.

Mount Vernon is absolutely spectacular. I can totally see why George Washington chose to make his home there. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more beautiful place.

Tyler was a trooper during the whole trip. He loved having a chance to just run freely through a field of grass and he couldn't get enough of all the animals that lived there. We had to rely heavily on the pacifier to keep things cool since he was so tired before we even arrived, but he was so, so, so good, all things considered.

I am anxious to get Danny out to Mount Vernon because he'd be in hog heaven. We anticipate a family field trip really soon!





Elaine with George and Martha


Washington was a fan of making Christmas special, and, one year, he purchased a camel for all of his visitors to enjoy during the Christmas season. True to tradition, Mount Vernon had a camel on display for all to see.


Ty in front of the home



Peeking at the animals








Such a pretty view from Washington's porch





A former White House Pastry Chef created a replica of Mount Vernon in GINGERBREAD for Christmas. Yep, that's gingerbread!! Amazing!



3 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

Love all the pictures. I also love mount Vernon.

You should love the fact that you have good genes. Elaine looks awesome. As usual!

ewhill said...

Thank you, Julie! I was thinking the opposite.
Mt. Vernon was great. I wish that we had gotten there earlier to see more of the grounds, but we got to see all of the out buildings and the home. Can't wait to go back. Tyler really loved this outing. It was so much fun seeing him enjoy the animals and running freely through the grass. Can't wait for Danny to get to spend time in the Mt. Vernon museum. It was fabulous. There were a lot of life size representations that were really cool!
Love,
Nana

Joe and Janet watson said...

The pictures were wonderful. I am so happy that you had a lovely snow day, but I am equally delignted that we were not there needing to come come. We are excited about your coming to Georgia, and I have been working on the Christmas tree for the past two days. Have a great day tomorrow. Your comments and pictures made my day. We really had a great time at your house. Love Papa Joe