Tuesday, December 15, 2009

All I Want for Christmas...

In the spring, right before Lydia was born, Danny and I talked about how thankful we were for the two children God had so graciously seen fit to give us. We were, and still are, in awe of the miracles we have in our kids. Tyler and Lydie are more than we could have ever asked for or imagined, and our hearts are constantly filled with overflowing gratitude for their lives.

As an active response to and an ongoing tithe of thanks for God's abundant blessings, we decided to sponsor a child through Compassion International. I had been browsing the Compassion website for several months prior to our commitment, and I could never make a decision on a particular child to sponsor. My heart broke for each of them, and I found myself wishing I could be a part of helping every single one of those sweet faces that stared back at me from the computer screen. I believe so strongly in the work that Compassion does, and I knew that whichever child I chose would be well cared for and taught about Jesus through my small monthly contribution.

The only trouble was how to choose.

Since I could never choose a child to sponsor on my own, I decided to let the Compassion folks choose for me. Boy, was I blessed!

Now, in addition to Tyler and Lydia, we are so proud to consider Selina, who is from Ghana, to be a part of our family, too. We have been so touched by the precious letters she has sent us and the drawing of a mango that accompanies each one. We consider it an honor to be a small part of what God is doing to work in Selina and her family’s life. It is truly humbling to know that somewhere in a small town in Africa, Selina is given nourishing food, clean water, an elementary education, and an early love of the Lord for less than forty of my dollars a month.

I’m certain I couldn’t spend that money in a better way, and I’m thankful to God for the opportunity.



What are you asking for this Christmas? What are your children asking for?

There are 400 million children in the world who would like safe drinking water this Christmas, and there are more than 120 million children who would just like a safe place to live. Millions of mothers are listening helplessly to the cries of their hungry children tonight, while 15 million other children wish they had a mother or father nearby because one or both of their parents have succumbed to AIDS and left them orphaned.

These are depressing facts, but, the good news is that YOU can make a difference in the life of one of these children.

Meet Isaias Jhon Angelo Padilla Yangali.




Isn't he adorable? Isaias is in Peru right now hoping you’ll sponsor him through Compassion. It’s all he wants for Christmas.

Isaias was born on October 31, 2004, which makes him five years old. He lives with his father and his mother and he has one sibling. His parents are only “sometimes” employed. He is a typical little boy in that he enjoys playing soccer, playing with cars, and creating art. His performance is average in preschool and he regularly attends church activities.

The most important thing Isaias needs is to continue to learn about Jesus in a safe environment where he is nourished spiritually, physically, emotionally, and intellectually. I don’t think any of us could give anyone any better gift than the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ. That’s what God has given us, and He has asked us to pass on that gift to all people in all nations. This is your chance to help do just that.

Compassion has challenged our family to find a sponsor for Isaias by December 31st. We gladly accepted the challenge because we know how much sponsorship can mean to both the sponsor and the child on the receiving end of that sponsorship.

Would you consider spending $38 a month to sponsor Isaias?

Please prayerfully consider this opportunity and let us know if you could sponsor this precious life by December 31st. We have all the materials you need to get started, and we’d be thrilled to get them out to you immediately.

If for some reason you decide you’d like to sponsor Isaias after someone else has already contacted us about him, Compassion will give you the chance to choose another child to sponsor or they will choose one for you. They have so many children in need of sponsorship, and it would be such a blessing if we could get Isaias AND several other children sponsored before the end of the year.

Thank you, in advance, for considering your part in this outstanding organization. When you receive that first sweet letter from your sponsored child, you’ll know that there couldn’t be a better gift under the tree for you this year.

What do you say? Will you be a blessing?

Love,

Danny and Jennifer

2 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

What a beautiful ministry!

Heather said...

Amen sister....I sponsor a little boy Mushumba from Rwanda and it is such a blessing to get his letters and the letters from the pastor in the area...my family has sponsored one too and as soon as I can afford another I will sponsor another...it is such a blessing!