Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Shamu Splash

Some might call me a trooper.

Others might call me an idiot.

But, please, don't cast a vote. My ego is too fragile at this point. And, so is my body.

Regardless of whether it was bravery or idiocy, my little family and I (at 37.5 weeks pregnant) spent the day at Sea World San Antonio.

Wow. It was really hot.

I think we logged about ten miles of walking/hiking and about 25 gallons of sweat and fluids lost. Well worth it, however. We had a great day!

I have been wanting to take Ty to Sea World for as long as I can remember, but I needed him to get old enough to somewhat appreciate the experience before we braved the heat and crowds. When news of Lydie's birth and a military move began to surface, I knew we'd need to take Ty to see Shamu as late as possible before the new baby's arrival and before we moved away from Sea World altogether.

Plus, for military families, entrance to the park is free. Why not make the trip?

So, this was our last major outing as a family of three (although, Lydie made herself plenty known as I tried to carry her wiggling little body and my huge body that is surrounding her through that park). We will be so excited to share adventures like this with both children in the years to come, but, for now, we were able to enjoy just one little Watson and his wide-eyed expressions as he gazed upon some of Earth's most beautiful creatures.

It's a day I won't ever forget.


Arriving at the park


Waiting for our complimentary tickets


Looking at the Clydesdales...trying to say "neigh"



Ty with the Clydesdale behind him

Watching the dolphins at the dolphin pool




Ty and Daddy after watching the dolphins swim


Ty at the Coral Reef...he's saying "fish" here






Walking through the park like a big boy


Before the Shamu show, Danny grabbed a guy and asked him to take our picture as a family. Good thing because it's the only one of all 3 (4) of us from today!


Please ignore my swollen legs and ankles and feet and draw your attention more towards my adorable son and his sign for "fish." He must have waved that hand around a million and two times today while saying "fish." He was mesmerized with all things swimming!


Later, during the show, he learned to do the "Shamu Splash" sign. So cute!



We had to trade water bottles briefly. Someone thought mine was better than his.


Ty and Daddy waiting for Shamu. Ty was so good; he sat just like that, between us, for the whole show and never fussed a bit.




In the penguin house--Apparently, those penguins were in a 27 degree area. I would have done about anything to have gotten in there with them!

This, ladies and gentlemen, represents the first nap taken in this stroller in about seven months. Obviously, we wore the man out!

4 comments:

ewhill said...

What a wonderful memory! I love his little fish outfit for Sea World. Tyler is lucky to be exposed to so many wonderful adventures.
I have been waiting all day to see this blog. It was worth the wait.
Love,
Mom

Heather said...

Soo cute....I am glad you were able to go with him before Lydia and before the move...if you remember right, Ty got to go while he was in your tummy too!!! :)

Joy Peterson said...

I think you are a trooper and I wanna go to seaworld! it looks like so much fun! Any Ty is such a big boy!!!!

Julie, the mama said...

What a fun day. So glad y'all are getting out and about as a family of three. Not much longer until baby girl gets here! That makes me SOOOOOO excited!