Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ty's First Haircut!

Today was monumental.

Huge.

Enormously huge.

Tyler had his very first haircut!

The poor child has needed a haircut for quite a while now. Recently, it had gotten to the point that just tucking the long strands behind his ears wasn't working anymore, so we knew it was time. But, I was having a hard time making the move to have it done.

I bet you're wondering why.

Because of John on John and Kate plus 8. I watched an old episode a couple of months ago where they were taking the little boys to get their hair cut. This was an early episode and happened to be the earth-shattering first cuts. John looked at Kate at one point in the show and made the comment, "You know that when they [the stylists] cut their hair they'll be cutting off the hair they were born with, right?"

I nearly cried my eyes out at the thought of cutting Ty's sweet little hair that sat on top of his head the very first moment I saw him. So, I kept putting it off, until today when it was inevitable.

Danny was able to leave work early today, which made it a perfect day to head over to Cool Cuts 4 Kids. I was immediately impressed with the place because they have little t.v.s at every station, Nintendos and Play Stations, and a train table and blocks table for the little ones. It was an oasis of fun (although it also reminded me why we have a society full of children with A.D.D....they can't even sit still, without entertainment, long enough to get their hair cut!).

We made sure to mention that we were there for Ty's first haircut, so they pulled out all the stops. He got to sit in a special seat that was designed like a sports car, watch Blue's Clues on the t.v., and leave with a special commemorative booklet that held little pieces of his hair. It actually was really exciting and not at all sad.

Danny and I weren't sure how Ty would react, but we didn't expect a meltdown simply because he's usually a pretty adaptable kid. Not much ruffles his feathers. We were right. He was totally calm the entire time. The only thing he didn't like was the feel of the cold scissors against his neck or the tickle the little comb occasionally gave him. Even then, he just shrugged his shoulders and tried to move his head away. The lady who cut his hair told him that he did a better job for her than the big kids. I was so proud!

I don't know how long it will be before he needs another haircut, but the first one sure was special!


This was Ty before his haircut (and might be my favorite picture of us together to date!).

Sitting in the fancy chair!

Telling his stylist his preferences.

First snips!

"Mommy, Daddy, I'm not sure about this."
Such a big boy!

Eventually, I had to put my hands on his head so he couldn't go too far when he was wiggling away from the tickles. Apparently, my hands tasted good...
All done! What a cutie!

7 comments:

Bill said...

Adorable. And you look great. Skinny little thing, you!

Anonymous said...

Love that Santa Boy and brave haircut man. Tyler reminds me of his super dad. Keep up the good attitude. You are both super parents, and I am so proud of you. Hugs and kisses to each of you special ones. We send our love from Georgia. Keep sending those wonderful pictures. Love Papa Joe

Unknown said...

Yes, you do look skinny as hell. Making me sick! :-) And I think that top picture needs to be framed! Very cute!

Joy Peterson said...

I can't believe he's old enough to have had a haircut!! That just doesn't seem right! That special chair is something else...wish we had a place like that in Rome!

Lisa said...

Awww! He is soooo precious! Most kids would have been kicking and screaming. Your little boy is growing up soooooo fast!

Ginger Carter Miller said...

So that's why you keep the strands in a zippy bag in his baby book, right? You did keep some, right?

I STILL have Jeffrey's little red hair, and there's a book somewhere around my house with some red curls that are mine.

ewhill said...

Thanks for documenting all these important moments. I love the pictures, but especially the first one! He is such a big boy!
Love,
Mom