Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kai, Ty and a Little Bit o' Snow

I feel like I collect blog ideas all day, every day. In my head, I am constantly saying, "That's blog-worthy." Or, "That's totally bloggable." But, when it comes time to write the blog, I've forgotten all my special moments. Or, worse (like today), I remember that I have more than one thing to blog about and will have to cram it in one post just so you don't have to read several separate entries (not that you would, but I like to think that you are all a captive audience...for my self-esteem, go with me on that...).

Yesterday, Tyler and I joined his friend, Kai, and Kai's mother, Jamala, for a little lunch and shopping outing in Gruene, Texas (pronounced: Green). We were enjoying the beautiful, hot day as we ate a Mexican lunch on the patio at the restaurant, and all was well as we began shopping.

We quickly discovered, however, that Gruene is not stroller-friendly. We kept having to take turns lifting strollers up stairs and down curbs. It was quite annoying, frankly. Then, I decided to stop at a little shop that looked promising, so we, again, maneuvered the strollers through the door. Just as I was helping Jamala get Kai inside, the shop worker or owner or whoever she was comes right up to me and says, "Ummm, we just don't have room in our store for strollers. I'm sorry." No kidding. Said those exact words and walked off. My response (my very loud response) was, "Okay, well, we'll just take our business elsewhere." To say I was furious would be an understatement.

We kept walking down the street and I grew more and more angry and thought of about 150 more ugly things I could have said to the lady. Then, I had to pray and ask for forgiveness for my attitude. Nonetheless, we loaded up and headed to the outlets. They are much more conducive to strollers. And, because of that, they got more of my money than the other lady ever would have gotten.


Sweet friends
These two laughed like hyenas almost all the way home from the outlets. Jamala and I got so tickled listening to them cackle and hoot and holler from the backseat. It was precious! Makes me really want another boy so that Ty can have a brother...


Remember how I said that Jamala and the boys and I were enjoying the nice, hot day yesterday? That rapidly changed as the evening approached. The wind picked up to between 30 and 40 miles per hour while we were finishing our shopping and led to a very funny incident where one of my bags flew out from under the stroller and into oncoming traffic. Crazy. By late last night, Danny and I were huddled on our back patio watching it sleet and hail like mad. It was an all-out winter onslaught in a matter of hours.

This morning, we had snow. At least, the kind of snow you get in these parts. Not much to mention, but it still made me giddy. It also makes me giddy that I've worn a long-sleeve shirt under a heavy sweater all day and have been perfectly comfortable. I love that.



You could almost make a snowman...



Alas, the forecast for Sunday is a high of 80 degrees. Until Sunday, we'll enjoy the high 60s and low 70s. Definitely not sweater weather, but I might not feel so inclined to wear flip-flops.

Finally, sweet Tyler had a developmental milestone tonight that I need to record for the sake of posterity. He pointed. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but this evening he worked his hand into a little fist and stuck out that pointer finger while pointing at pictures in his "Who Loves Baby" picture book. I was so excited! I've never seen a cuter finger in all my life. Even better was that we went through that book about 25 times in a row. Each time he turned the page, he pointed to a person and I said their name. When we got to Nana's picture, he pointed to her face and I said, "That's Nana." I declare, the boy said, "Nana." I never could get him to say it again, but I called my mom and shouted into her answering machine that he may never do it again, but he did it that once! So neat! He really liked the picture of Danny and me and stopped on that page frequently. When I said, "Where's Daddy?", he pointed right to his daddy's face. Could have been a coincidence, but I choose to think that my little Tyler is brilliant!

There you have it. The three things I needed to blog about all in one post. Stay tuned because I have plans for an all-out soapbox blog post on outdoor Christmas lights/decor. I know you won't want to miss it.

5 comments:

Katie B said...

Ok...hilarious about the snow! I laughed out loud...and Texas does not sound like somewhere I would want to live if it is 80 in the winter...yuk!

Katie B said...

Ok...hilarious about the snow! I laughed out loud...and Texas does not sound like somewhere I would want to live if it is 80 in the winter...yuk!

Bill said...

That is a big milestone for the little guy!

And what crazy weather, but I do like the idea of sitting outside in December. You won't have that luxury next year in DC! Enjoy!

Joy Peterson said...

I am just in awe of the snow you had...and the snow that is apparently in Hattiesburg, MS right now..this is just so crazy!!!

ewhill said...

I am most excited that Ty said, "Nana!" I love my precious little Tyler!
Just wait until next winter! You will see plenty of snow!
Love,
Mom