Tonight, in a conversation with Julie Boucek, she said, "You can either be pitiful or you can be powerful, but you can't be both." Wow. Although the conversation was totally unrelated to me, her statement resonated deeply within my spirit.
Julie and I were talking about several situations we know of where people are facing very difficult times in their lives and how our outlooks seem to impact our outcomes. I know I am guilty of throwing myself pity parties on occasion and thinking that my problems are the most severe in the world. I think that's human nature--to be self-centered in our thinking many times. However, if we really count our blessings and put our lives up against those of other people we know, we really don't have much to complain about. Even in our most desperate hours, if we can muster the strength to respond with grace, we do more as witnesses for God than we could ever do in times of normalcy and calm. In fact, my Bible study was about that last week. We talked about Jesus being tested/tempted by Satan in the desert (see Luke 4) and how our reactions to difficulties are what set us apart as Christians. I don't know if my reactions are always heavenly. Are yours? And I don't think I always choose power over pity. Do you?
There are just so many tragic things going on in the world, and I pray for all those I know and love who are facing tough times. I pray that they will find the courage to be powerful rather than pitiful, and to respond to their difficulties with grace. I pray that the Lord will give them all the strength they need to overcome their situations, and that their reactions will point onlookers towards heaven. I pray this prayer for myself, too.
I leave you with this. It is Isaiah 40:28-31:
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not get weary, they will walk and not be faint."
May each of us choose power.
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Pity verses Power
Posted by The Watsons at 7:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow...what an amazing blog.
I just read Ethan's web site...now his parents are certainly ones to not pity themselves, when they have every right to. On days when I think I couldn't handle anymore, I think about them.
Thanks for calling and checking on me...I appreciate it.
Well, THIS is the reason I'm not too upset about finishing my bible study stuff today - the Lord knew I would get a blog bible lesson tonight. Thanks so much. Even though I said the words, I needed to read them too.
I believe God spoke through you in this blog. Thanks for sharing. And for the record, I like power! :-)
J, I was just thinking the other day about your blog and how inspirational it was to me. You young women just amaze me with your spiritual maturity. I sure wish I had been as close to God as you are when I was your age. You are much like the Proverbs 31 woman that you recently quoted. Danny is so blessed to have you as his wife. Tyler Reed will love having you as his mom. You keep on telling and living the story. Your love of Jesus reminds us all that He is truly:
the name above all names;
the alpha and the omega;
the author & finisher of our faith;
our creator & the source of power;
blessings, Carol
Jenn, there have been a couple of times in my life when something you wrote brought me right to the top of the mountain. I remember (and am pretty sure I still have) the letter you wrote when you became editor in 1999; I still have the letter you wrote when you nominated me for the teaching award that I won.
I have had a horrible, angry afternoon. I have felt today like someone who should be supporting me now in this WEAK hour of mine is trying to second guess me instead of support me. Even though they mean well, I feel they have already given up.
Reading your blog, though, has calmed me in such a profound way.
I choose power. And I love you for reminding me that I do have a choice.
Carter
Post a Comment