Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sweatin' for the Panhandle

This morning, as my family and I participated in the Run for the Panhandle 5K to benefit the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge as they aid animals impacted by the BP Oil Spill, I learned two things:

1.) I am very out of shape and far, far away from meeting my goal of actually running a 5K before the end of the year, and

2.) Even at 7:30 a.m., it's hot in Florida. Like, really, really, really hot.

Despite the 105 degree heat index, we walked the 3.1 miles in 50 minutes. Some of the fastest runners finished the race in under 20 minutes.

Good grief, that's fast.

It would take me that long to jog a mile with someone chasing me.

Even with all the sweat and sun and racing hearts, we had a wonderful time walking alongside the bay in a lovely neighborhood just off the Miracle Strip.

It was a good Saturday morning, especially because we followed our 5K calorie burn with breakfast at The Waffle House. Don't judge us. Please. Lydie and I spent the rest of the day recovering from some heat-induced illnesses. I nursed a terrible headache for the better part of six hours, and she ran a low fever that required Tylenol for management. We were a mess, but now we've recovered.

In short, I think it's high time we join the YMCA and become friendly with some treadmills. That's on my to-do list for Monday morning.








Oh, these sweet babies holding hands makes me so happy!



Post-race refreshments included watermelon, bananas, water, and sweet tea from McAllister's.


Even Lydie got her walk on!

2 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

That looks so fun!

We joined the Y today, too! Hoping the weight just falls off now that I'm an official member!

Joy Peterson said...

So proud of you! 3 miles is 3 miles in my book--no matter if it is walking or running...