Saturday, July 5, 2008

Three Rings of Fun!

Today Tyler and I saw "The Greatest Show on Earth." That's right. I took my six month old to the circus, one of my favorite places to be.

I can't tell you how much the circus thrills me. I go every single time it is within 60 miles of me. I went in Atlanta, GA many times as a child and, as an adult, I went to the circus in Las Cruces, NM, Bossier City, LA, and, now, in San Antonio, TX. If they gave frequent circus-goers cards, I'd have too many points to count!

We didn't want to go by ourselves (and Danny had to stay home and study for a test that's coming up), so we invited our friends Yavontka, Shai, and Meya (you'll remember that I kept Meya for a few days last fall when Yavontka was out of town). Tyler was really outnumbered by all the females, but he ate it up and flirted like crazy! Once the tickets were bought and we were inside--45 minutes after the start of the show--(that process could be a blog in itself because I am an idiot), we had a wonderful time.

Tyler was completely intrigued by all the lights and colors for the first part of the show. Once the intermission was over though, it wasn't long before he was asleep in my lap. While he was nice and still, I was able to take in all the circus wonder for myself.

The funniest part of the whole outing came at the end of the show. During the finale, the elephants were circling the arena and doing a few tricks. Meya was yelling, "Hi, elephants! Hi, elephants!" She was just having a blast. Then, when she realized the show was over and the lights were coming on, she broke into an all-out fit. She was wailing and had tears streaming down her face. All the way out of the arena she was screaming, "Not yet. Not yet. More circus." She was devastated that it was over. Bless her heart! I was so glad she enjoyed it, but I hated that she had such a hard time parting. Sweet sorrow, I tell you what.

As any good mother would do, Yavontka consoled Meya by buying her a pink purse that held a white circus tiger. That ended the tears and brought a smile to her face.

I know Tyler will never remember today, but I was so excited to be able to share the circus with him. I can't wait until next year; won't the circus be so much more fun with an 18 month old??

Yavontka and Meya pre-circus


Shai and Ty...she was so good with him! I might have found myself a babysitter!


Meya showing off her pink purse and white tiger!


Tyler is an expert people-watcher, just like his mama.



As usual, sweet Ty was a trooper!


Meya helped Ty with his pacifier. On the way home, when Tyler started crying because he was tired, she said, "It's okay baby Tyler." So sweet!

Yes, buying overpriced ($12) cotton candy at the circus is a personal tradition that cannot be tampered with. Even Danny knows that he has to stash extra cash for the requisite purchase. Hey, at least it came with a goofy hat!

Meya and me after the circus. She was saying. "Cheese!"

2 comments:

Bill said...

Hilarious post! I like the circus, but LOVE cotton candy so I would have been right there with you in line.

Tyler is such a good sport. And you are right, next year he will love it even more.

Good pics!

ewhill said...

Do you remember the time we went to see the circus in Atlanta, and they asked you to be in the parade? You REFUSED!!!!!!!! There was a mom right by us who said, "My kid will do it!" I was so disappointed that you didn't get to ride in the circus parade in the arena! Of course, I wouldn't have let them take you without me being along. I didn't want you out of my sight. Glad ya'll had a good time.
Love, Mom