Same Baby, Same Swing
Six Months Difference!
My sweet Tyler,
As our country celebrates its independence today, your daddy and I are celebrating six months of having you in our lives. I can speak for us both when I say that the past six months have been the most life-changing, blessing-filled months of our lives. We had no idea what we were missing before you came into our world. Oh, how we love you, little one.
I spent a great deal of time this afternoon looking back at our blogs from the first days we knew you. I relived the anxiety and excitement of my time in the hospital as we awaited your arrival. So many people loved you before you were even born, but we still couldn't wait to meet you officially. I remembered back to the first time we put you in your car seat; you were so, so tiny. I thought I was going to cry a bucket of tears worrying about your safety. That didn't change as we came home and I learned that every breath you took and every move you made had me on alert. I couldn't stop checking on you and rescuing you even though I would always see that you were just fine. I wanted to be the best mother I could be for you, and that hasn't changed at all.
You have grown so much, baby Ty. Those first few weeks at home, I have to admit, I was praying for time to fly. You were so fragile and helpless, and I was scared to death. I was ready for you to have a little more control of your body and a little more interaction with me. Now, instead of praying for time to fly, I am praying for it to slow down. Way down.
It seems you learn something new every single day. I am amazed at how much your body and your strength have changed in the past six months. Now, you can sit all by yourself for quite a while, until some toy in a far away place catches your eye and then you topple over trying to get to it. When you are on your tummy, you can push yourself up and lock your elbows. Lately, you've even started bringing your knees under you in the crawling position. When I stand you on your feet, you can hold on to a table and steady yourself for a few seconds. Your little legs are so strong!
You are so much fun to play with. The simplest things can get you laughing up a storm! I can't get enough of your precious smile and your precocious chuckle. I wish I could bottle up all your happiness and remember it second for second in all the years to come. You are a beautiful creation.
Your daily routine has steadied now, and I thank God daily that you are an excellent sleeper. As you will discover in the years to come, your mother can't function without, at least, seven hours of sleep at night. I sure was a mess before you figured out that night and day were different things with different purposes!
You typically wake up somewhere between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. I refuse to get you, or me, out of bed before 7 a.m., so it works out really well for us both! When you wake up, I change your diaper and dress you for the day. Then, we go to the kitchen to make your bottle and draw up your medicine (you have bad reflux and spitting up issues, so you take Zantac twice a day to help your tummy). When we arrive at the couch, you start eating as I watch Good Morning America. Halfway through your bottle, I take it away so that you can burp. You hate this, and I still can't figure out why you get so mad when you know that's how we do things five times a day, every day of the week. I will always wonder what goes through your head as you cry and wiggle until that manly belch escapes your little body. We resume your feeding, burp you, and proceed to keep you upright and playing until it's time for your nap.
As well as you sleep at night, you are still working on a nap schedule. You definitely take naps, they just aren't really long, and you usually take four or five of them every day. I know you're ready for your nap when you start rubbing your eyes, tugging on your ears, and burying your head in my shoulder. At that point, we head for your room, change your diaper, and lay you in your crib.
Now, you are particular about the things you need around you as you sleep. You must have the monkey that Mamama and Papa Joe gave you before you were born. It has oversized paws, and you rub your cheek right up against one of those furry paws until you've nestled yourself into a comfortable position. Diagonally across your chest is the taggie blanket with your name on it that Julie gave you. You always have your fingers rubbing on those tags as you go to sleep and as you wake up. All around the perimeter of your crib are some of your favorite plush toys. You have a blue giraffe that rattles, a blue bear that crinkles, a tan puppy that rattles, a brown moose from Alaska, a Paddington Bear from England, and two teddy bears watch over you at the opposite end from where you sleep. Beside you, on the rail, is your Fisher Price Rainforest Aquarium that you have always watched and can now turn on and off by yourself. Above you, is your mobile with all kinds of animals that you dearly love (you have to tug on them and put them in your mouth every morning while we sing the Good Morning song). With all of these loveys, you are easily able to take a cozy nap.
As your mobility has improved, you don't always sleep on your back for your naps. Lots of times I'll find you on your side holding the monkey or on your tummy with your taggie blanket under you. Often you'll wake up and just play with your toys a while until I come in to get you. Sometimes, when you roll over in your crib, you misjudge how far the rails are and how big you are; this usually results in a bumped head and a few tears.
We go through your eating, playing, and sleeping cycle all day. You consume five, six ounce bottles each day, and you have recently started eating a few solids. Every evening, you have three to four tablespoons of oatmeal with a tablespoon or two of applesauce mixed in. This is your favorite food, and you let me know it by hitting your hands on your highchair tray if I'm not getting it in your mouth fast enough! You have also tried sweet potatoes, bananas (these didn't agree with you), squash, pears, and prunes. It excites me when you get to try new foods. It will be really neat when you start feeding yourself some, and I think you are anxious to learn that skill because you are always stealing the spoon from me!
At night, you take a bath around 7:30 p.m. You absolutely love your baths! Recently, you have decided to confiscate the red, plastic cups that I use to rinse you and to wash your hair. It has become a little game between us. You won't have anything to do with regular bath toys, but you will scream if you lose your grip on that cup! It's hilarious!
After your bath, we get you dressed for bed and we snuggle in the glider. I give you your medicine and your last bottle of the day while we listen to the radio. This is my favorite time of the day. You readily rub my hands, grab my fingers, touch my face, and rest your little head on my shoulder as you drift off to sleep. One day, I'm going to be really sad when I realize that I can't rock you before you go to bed anymore.
You and I are big buddies because we are with each other all day long. We enjoy taking walks, sitting in the grass, shopping, having lunch with Daddy, and visiting The Little Gym. I really love having you to hang out with. I know you get tired of me though because when Daddy comes home, you are ecstatic about seeing him. I think he might be your favorite, but I don't mind.
You are also quite friendly with the other members of our family, Miss Kitty and Miss Daisy. I can't get over how you light up when Miss Kitty comes around. She fascinates you! Before you were born, I thought she'd have nothing to do with you, but she has surprised me. She cuddles right with us and lets you tug on her fur and pull her ears. She even sits on the toilet, overlooking the tub, when you take your baths at night. You squeal when you realize she's nearby. Daisy, on the other hand, likes you but stays at a distance. When she gets a spurt of energy and starts dancing around the living room, you laugh like crazy! Both of our pets have been a part of our lives for seven years now, and we are so glad we get to share and enjoy them with you.
You are absolutely incredible, Tyler, and I look forward to seeing all you will become in the next six months. I thank God for you at least a thousand times a day. I hate that you'll ever have to understand fear, sadness, anger, betrayal, dishonesty, and all the other unpleasant things in life. If I could, I'd seal you in a bubble and keep you happy and safe all the time. However, that's not my purpose. My job is to raise you to be a godly man who is honorable, loving, hard-working, and full of integrity. God is trusting me with you, and I pray that He will help me be everything you need me to be.
Your daddy and I love you so much, sweet boy. We are better people for having you in our lives. Thank you for all you've taught us since January 4th. Six months went by so fast, and it's hard to believe that in six more months you will celebrate your first birthday!
For now, we will hold you tight, kiss you obnoxiously, and live in these sacred moments.
Happy Six Months!
Loving you always,
Mama
As our country celebrates its independence today, your daddy and I are celebrating six months of having you in our lives. I can speak for us both when I say that the past six months have been the most life-changing, blessing-filled months of our lives. We had no idea what we were missing before you came into our world. Oh, how we love you, little one.
I spent a great deal of time this afternoon looking back at our blogs from the first days we knew you. I relived the anxiety and excitement of my time in the hospital as we awaited your arrival. So many people loved you before you were even born, but we still couldn't wait to meet you officially. I remembered back to the first time we put you in your car seat; you were so, so tiny. I thought I was going to cry a bucket of tears worrying about your safety. That didn't change as we came home and I learned that every breath you took and every move you made had me on alert. I couldn't stop checking on you and rescuing you even though I would always see that you were just fine. I wanted to be the best mother I could be for you, and that hasn't changed at all.
You have grown so much, baby Ty. Those first few weeks at home, I have to admit, I was praying for time to fly. You were so fragile and helpless, and I was scared to death. I was ready for you to have a little more control of your body and a little more interaction with me. Now, instead of praying for time to fly, I am praying for it to slow down. Way down.
It seems you learn something new every single day. I am amazed at how much your body and your strength have changed in the past six months. Now, you can sit all by yourself for quite a while, until some toy in a far away place catches your eye and then you topple over trying to get to it. When you are on your tummy, you can push yourself up and lock your elbows. Lately, you've even started bringing your knees under you in the crawling position. When I stand you on your feet, you can hold on to a table and steady yourself for a few seconds. Your little legs are so strong!
You are so much fun to play with. The simplest things can get you laughing up a storm! I can't get enough of your precious smile and your precocious chuckle. I wish I could bottle up all your happiness and remember it second for second in all the years to come. You are a beautiful creation.
Your daily routine has steadied now, and I thank God daily that you are an excellent sleeper. As you will discover in the years to come, your mother can't function without, at least, seven hours of sleep at night. I sure was a mess before you figured out that night and day were different things with different purposes!
You typically wake up somewhere between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. I refuse to get you, or me, out of bed before 7 a.m., so it works out really well for us both! When you wake up, I change your diaper and dress you for the day. Then, we go to the kitchen to make your bottle and draw up your medicine (you have bad reflux and spitting up issues, so you take Zantac twice a day to help your tummy). When we arrive at the couch, you start eating as I watch Good Morning America. Halfway through your bottle, I take it away so that you can burp. You hate this, and I still can't figure out why you get so mad when you know that's how we do things five times a day, every day of the week. I will always wonder what goes through your head as you cry and wiggle until that manly belch escapes your little body. We resume your feeding, burp you, and proceed to keep you upright and playing until it's time for your nap.
As well as you sleep at night, you are still working on a nap schedule. You definitely take naps, they just aren't really long, and you usually take four or five of them every day. I know you're ready for your nap when you start rubbing your eyes, tugging on your ears, and burying your head in my shoulder. At that point, we head for your room, change your diaper, and lay you in your crib.
Now, you are particular about the things you need around you as you sleep. You must have the monkey that Mamama and Papa Joe gave you before you were born. It has oversized paws, and you rub your cheek right up against one of those furry paws until you've nestled yourself into a comfortable position. Diagonally across your chest is the taggie blanket with your name on it that Julie gave you. You always have your fingers rubbing on those tags as you go to sleep and as you wake up. All around the perimeter of your crib are some of your favorite plush toys. You have a blue giraffe that rattles, a blue bear that crinkles, a tan puppy that rattles, a brown moose from Alaska, a Paddington Bear from England, and two teddy bears watch over you at the opposite end from where you sleep. Beside you, on the rail, is your Fisher Price Rainforest Aquarium that you have always watched and can now turn on and off by yourself. Above you, is your mobile with all kinds of animals that you dearly love (you have to tug on them and put them in your mouth every morning while we sing the Good Morning song). With all of these loveys, you are easily able to take a cozy nap.
As your mobility has improved, you don't always sleep on your back for your naps. Lots of times I'll find you on your side holding the monkey or on your tummy with your taggie blanket under you. Often you'll wake up and just play with your toys a while until I come in to get you. Sometimes, when you roll over in your crib, you misjudge how far the rails are and how big you are; this usually results in a bumped head and a few tears.
We go through your eating, playing, and sleeping cycle all day. You consume five, six ounce bottles each day, and you have recently started eating a few solids. Every evening, you have three to four tablespoons of oatmeal with a tablespoon or two of applesauce mixed in. This is your favorite food, and you let me know it by hitting your hands on your highchair tray if I'm not getting it in your mouth fast enough! You have also tried sweet potatoes, bananas (these didn't agree with you), squash, pears, and prunes. It excites me when you get to try new foods. It will be really neat when you start feeding yourself some, and I think you are anxious to learn that skill because you are always stealing the spoon from me!
At night, you take a bath around 7:30 p.m. You absolutely love your baths! Recently, you have decided to confiscate the red, plastic cups that I use to rinse you and to wash your hair. It has become a little game between us. You won't have anything to do with regular bath toys, but you will scream if you lose your grip on that cup! It's hilarious!
After your bath, we get you dressed for bed and we snuggle in the glider. I give you your medicine and your last bottle of the day while we listen to the radio. This is my favorite time of the day. You readily rub my hands, grab my fingers, touch my face, and rest your little head on my shoulder as you drift off to sleep. One day, I'm going to be really sad when I realize that I can't rock you before you go to bed anymore.
You and I are big buddies because we are with each other all day long. We enjoy taking walks, sitting in the grass, shopping, having lunch with Daddy, and visiting The Little Gym. I really love having you to hang out with. I know you get tired of me though because when Daddy comes home, you are ecstatic about seeing him. I think he might be your favorite, but I don't mind.
You are also quite friendly with the other members of our family, Miss Kitty and Miss Daisy. I can't get over how you light up when Miss Kitty comes around. She fascinates you! Before you were born, I thought she'd have nothing to do with you, but she has surprised me. She cuddles right with us and lets you tug on her fur and pull her ears. She even sits on the toilet, overlooking the tub, when you take your baths at night. You squeal when you realize she's nearby. Daisy, on the other hand, likes you but stays at a distance. When she gets a spurt of energy and starts dancing around the living room, you laugh like crazy! Both of our pets have been a part of our lives for seven years now, and we are so glad we get to share and enjoy them with you.
You are absolutely incredible, Tyler, and I look forward to seeing all you will become in the next six months. I thank God for you at least a thousand times a day. I hate that you'll ever have to understand fear, sadness, anger, betrayal, dishonesty, and all the other unpleasant things in life. If I could, I'd seal you in a bubble and keep you happy and safe all the time. However, that's not my purpose. My job is to raise you to be a godly man who is honorable, loving, hard-working, and full of integrity. God is trusting me with you, and I pray that He will help me be everything you need me to be.
Your daddy and I love you so much, sweet boy. We are better people for having you in our lives. Thank you for all you've taught us since January 4th. Six months went by so fast, and it's hard to believe that in six more months you will celebrate your first birthday!
For now, we will hold you tight, kiss you obnoxiously, and live in these sacred moments.
Happy Six Months!
Loving you always,
Mama



4 comments:
So glad you put details about his schedule in there. These are little things you forget if you don't document.
He is so precious. What a true blessing.
I agree with Julie. So sweet....and so important. When Ty is Hannah's age, you'll look back at this blog with smiles and tears. Thanks for the great read!
I just left a long comment and the computer erased it. How frustrating.
Anyway, I was telling you that now you understand the unconditional love that I have always felt for you. Tyler is so lucky to have parents as wonderful as you and Danny. You are both doing such an outstanding job. I am especially proud of the way you have Tyler in church each Sunday. He will grow up to be the man you want him to become because of all the things that you are doing right. The most important thing that you can give Tyler is knowledge and love for the Lord. Wish I was closer so that we could visit more often. Love you all so much!
Glad you had such a memorable Fourth of July.
Love, Mom
HOw sweet! I wish I had posted these type of things for my Addie Grace! Next time, I'll know to do better!
I can't believe its been 6 months already too!!!
Post a Comment