Monday, May 31, 2010

Ty's Turn in the Pool

Shortly after the pool opened today, we were there.

I could totally get used to this "spend the summer at the pool" thing.

Today was Ty's second time in the pool in as many days, and he did even better today than yesterday. We still have a minor crisis in regard to a suitable floatation device for him, but, after posting the concern on Facebook last night, I think I might be on the brink of finding something that will work. Bless his heart. His "I do it myself" attitude clashes strongly with having to be carried around by Mommy in the pool. We had to have a couple of stern discussions about drowning and safety and Mommy's fragile nerves when he was finding his courage and trying to wiggle away from me. I could sense the lifeguard's fragile nerves, too, so I think he was grateful for my intervention.

Ty's courage even led him to discover the idea of jumping into the pool from the side after he saw a man demonstrate the trick. Lovely. I know my arms need some toning, but, dang, my arms have never been more tired than they were as I lifted the 32 pound boy to the side of the pool, caught him as he jumped in, spun him around in the air, and then did it all again.

Five hundred and fifty two more times.

As sore as I was, I wouldn't trade a second of that time in the pool with my favorite little guy this morning. He makes me so, so, so proud.

And, he makes me really appreciate the 15 minute breaks the lifeguard takes every hour!

By the way, I must apologize that all of these swimming pool posts require you to see me in a bathing suit. It's frightening, I know. But, Danny is consumed with writing his thesis, so I am the pool master right now (such a tough job), and that, by definition, requires me to suit up. If having fun with my babies requires a little self-deprecation, then, by all means, I'm game. I'm just sorry you have to bear witness. Perhaps you should try to only look at the pretty babies...















"Again, Mommy! I do it again!"

3 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

Can you imagine how wonderful it is going to be when all of our kids can swim by themselves and we can just sit by the pool all day, everyday and talk to the other stay-at-home mamas???

Both of mine do well in the Speedo water wings. Now Boss went under a few times at first and LL still drinks a ton of pool water, but overall, that is what has worked best for us.

I hear you on the arm thing. I lift 35 pound Boss all the time; one would think my arms would look like a supermodels. NOT!

Anonymous said...

I wish that I could be there to help you out with pool duty!
Maybe in Florida!
Love,
Nana

Jamala said...

What Fun!!