Sunday, May 30, 2010

Little Lydie Fish

It was a comfortable 85 degrees today, and, with the pool opening yesterday amid cloudy, potentially rainy skies, we decided to make today the day for the Watsons to put their swimsuits to use.

While Tyler took his afternoon nap, Poppy and I thought it would be a great time to take Lydie to the pool by herself to see how she felt about the whole experience. Within about three seconds, I knew that child could be completely happy if I'd just agree to leave her in water at all times. The rest of the world disappeared as she splashed and giggled and splashed and giggled. She was the sweetest thing you've ever seen.

I cherish every moment that I get to spend one-on-one time with my children, but I especially enjoy hanging out with Lydie because I feel that so often she has to take the back-burner to Tyler since he is more willing and able to make his needs and wants known. They are both such different little people, and it is a blast to get to know their individual personalities when there are no competing factors to get in the way. I could write a book on all the ways they each make me smile, but, suffice it to say, they completely astonish me when I take the time to simply be with them.

Today, I spent a lot of time just holding Lydie and floating through the water with her. I think the memories I made with her today have already made permanent etchings in my mind. I couldn't help but think of how quickly time will go. Someday soon she won't even fit in my arms anymore. I hope I'll always remember how tiny she is, how soft she is, how affectionate she is, how fiercely stubborn she is, and how my heart can hardly stand the joy of hearing her laugh or seeing her smile.

The girl has been a surprise and a contradiction to all the rules from the first moment we knew of her existence, but I wouldn't trade that child for a thing in the world. I'm so glad God knows what He's doing better than we do. He sure blessed us beyond our wildest dreams when he gave us our Lydia.

Ty and Lydie both enjoyed the pool today, but there's not a single picture to document that Tyler ever made it in the water. He did, though. I promise. I didn't have time to deal with the camera because I was too busy trying to keep him from drowning!

Maybe we'll do better about our picture taking equality tomorrow.
















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish that I could have been there to experience Lydie's first day in the pool. I had hoped that the pool would open before I had to leave.
Can't wait to see Ty in action and have the opportunity to swim with him.
I love you Ty and Lydie!

Love,
Nana

Julie, the mama said...

So nice to have a child who loves the water. Even nicer since y'all are about to be at the beach permanently!