Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Rajun' Cajun' Good Time

If I weren't so completely exhausted from traveling while simultaneously dealing with my precious baby who has somehow gone through a total personality change over the past week (thanks to about six teeth coming in at once), I would share with you the following:

  • What I learned about traveling in vehicles with young children (airline tickets are good things)
  • What I learned about finding inner strength in the wee hours of the morning while trying to comfort a screaming, teething, 14 month old (not sure there was any inner strength left actually)
  • What I learned about hotel survival with young children (a suite is a must)
  • How stressed I am now that I understand, more fully, what the reality of moving to Virginia with two children is going to look like (I might just camp out here and veto the whole thing)
  • How much I despise the roads in Texas, specifically in Austin
  • And, for the heck of it, I might even guess how many calories I consumed on our trip (on second thought, I don't even want to calculate those numbers--it's a good thing I lost four pounds before we left).

But, alas, I am way too tired to tell you anything about any of those things. Instead, I will tell you that we had such a neat time visiting our friends in Louisiana. It's a place that will always feel like home to us, and it was a treat to return for a quick visit before we get too far away to easily return. Here's a look at our trip: During a quick break from the car, we braved the cold and rain to get a picture of Tyler Reed in Tyler, Texas.

Our first visit was to Parkway High School where I completed my student teaching and first semester of "real" teaching.
Tyler enjoyed his visit to high school. He was ready to learn.



This is Mrs. Hardaway. She was my cooperating teacher during student teaching and I just adore her. Her daughter is pregnant with her first baby (due the same day as Lydia) so Mrs. H got some grandmother practice with Ty.




This is a Botato from Bodacious BBQ in Bossier City, LA. If you're ever there, don't miss it! It's my very favorite comfort food....gigantic baked potato, butter, chopped bbq beef, bbq sauce, cheese, and sour cream. Oh. My. Goodness.


Bodacious BBQ also has a sweet mint tea that Danny really likes.


No, we did not actually feed Ty his chicken leg this way, but he posed just perfectly for this picture! He was a fan of Bodacious, too!


Ty visiting the ADC office at Barksdale AFB.


Somehow I managed to not get a single picture of my trip back to Greenacres Middle School, but I was lucky enough to be able to visit with Valerie and Sarah on separate occasions.
This is Ty and me with Valerie. She's due to deliver her first baby, a girl, in about two weeks. And, let me tell you, that child is not missing a single thing. Babies R Us could do inventory out of her nursery!

We were so blessed to be able to visit with our former neighbors Mrs. Norma and Mr. Gordon. We just love, love, love them to pieces and were so happy to hug their necks and introduce them to Ty.






Next stop: Shane's. This was number one on our "must eat" list. We ordered the boiled shrimp plate, as always, and it was every bit as good as we remembered.
If I'd had the courage, I would have asked one of the crawfish-eating customers if I could take a picture of their "plate." They serve crawfish there by the pound in a big roasting pan (like the ones you roast a huge Thanksgiving turkey in). That's the kind of thing I just love about Louisiana living.




Poor, exhausted, cranky, Curious George-loving, baby boy. He was ready to get home and return to his regular sleeping schedule.

The morning we left, we were able to spend some time with Sarah and Hannah. Always, always, always a treat! Can you believe that sweet Hannah will be 16 soon?? My, how time flies!!

We attempted to learn how to play Guitar Hero. I made fun of Danny for playing the very easiest level. Then I learned how hard the easy level was.

Me, Sarah, Ty

We were also thrilled to finally meet Sarah's fiance, Timothy, while we were visiting. He's every bit as outstanding as I imagined, and I can't wait to see them get hitched.

A stop at Dairy Queen on the way home landed Ty a fun toy in his kids' meal.
And about that ice cream cone in my hand....it was Ty's....honestly.

Ty's assumed position for the majority of the trip.


Couldn't leave town without our favorite Cajun seasoning. The can we bought two years ago just recently ran out, so Danny figured that three cans should cover us for the next six years (although he was tempted to buy all six cans that were on the shelf).

We especially like that our favorite seasoning is not only made in Shreveport but boasts God's glory on its label. Can't get no betta'...
Special thanks to all the friends we were able to visit while we were in town. It was a special treat to see each of you, and we hope it won't be too long before we get to do it again.

3 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

Sounds (and looks) like the trip was a huge success. I can hardly believe how big Tyler is getting. He's officially a little boy now!

Joy Peterson said...

Seeing and hearing about that cajun food has got me craving some seriously!!! So glad you had a good time on the trip!

SarahM said...

Ummmmm, I know I'm late in commenting, but I request to never take another picture as long as I live! LOL Love you!