I'm still not sure why I always seem to have a doctor's appointment scheduled for Tyler on the coldest days in Texas, but this morning was no exception. Being the efficiently-minded mother that I am (and the one who knows just how difficult making an 8:40 a.m. appointment can be), Tyler slept in his warmest jammies so he could get up and wear them out of the house (they always keep him naked when he's actually there anyway...what's the point in trying to doll up a sick baby?). Warm jammies, combined with the blue and brown knitted hat from Aunt Julie, and wrapped in a thick blanket, we made our way to the base in the freezing temperatures.
I fully expected a pat-on-the-back kind of visit. You know, "Good job taking care of your sick kid. Too bad it'll be another week before he's back to his old self. But, he's getting better, so hang in there" kind of dialogue. Nope. Things took a turn once Dr. J listened to Ty's chest and after his blood oxygen was registering in the low 90s.
She was concerned that Ty's breathing hadn't improved since Saturday night. His chest was still wheezy and his respirations were still entirely too high. She was as caring and calm as I'd expect a pediatrician to be, and I was so glad we had her today (note: the first time we met this lady, she was having a green-theme day...lime green socks, all green jewelry, cut-off pants, with bright red hair...quite the fashionista...darn good doctor).
Dr. J decided to give Tyler a breathing treatment there in the office using a nebulizer. He did a great job wearing that steamy mask for 15 minutes. I think the nurses were impressed with his demeanor, as they expected all hell to break loose in there! Dr. J also told us she wanted to test him for RSV. I had no idea that that involved sucking snot out of his nose and sending it to the lab. Gross! But, my boy did a fantastic job and gave the nurse no grief at all. I was proud of the little guy.
While all this was going on, Dr. J reviewed the notes on the x-ray from the E.R. She said that the E.R. doc's diagnosis of pneumonia was trumped by the radiologist's diagnosis of bronchiolitis (which would be consistent with RSV). Therefore, it's looking more like this is a viral thing rather than bacterial. The antibiotics probably aren't doing a thing to help him, but she told us to continue with the full treatment anyway.
We won't know for a day or so what the RSV test says, but Dr. J went ahead and sent us home with prednisone, a steroid, to give Ty once a day for five days. That sounded more in line with what would help his symptoms to me, so I was pleased with her decision.
That is, until I got home, at which point I realized that I might be dealing with 'roid rage for the next week. Holy Moly! That kid was hyped up! He was already eating better (consuming two yogurt smoothies in a row this afternoon) and he was absolutely not interested in a nap. Seeing as how Mama is sick and has been sick as long as Ty has been, Mama wanted a nap whether the boy did or did not. I had to call in reinforcements and get Danny home to help me. I felt like the toy poodle in the rottweiler lot at the dog park...and Ty was most certainly rottweiler-ish. Wow. I could not believe my eyes.
Needless to say, I was thrilled when bedtime rolled around and was sure that Ty would fall fast asleep. He did. About two and a half hours I after I put him down. Good grief...
So, we are, potentially, on the road to recovery. It's going to take a while to get the little man back in his regular routine, but we're thankful that we're headed in the right direction. As for me, I hate being so homebound, so I am hoping I can sneak out for a minute sometime soon. At least for a drive (or walk if it would warm up) around the neighborhood.
Even in all this sickness and chaos, we have much to be thankful for. I am so grateful that Danny's boss has been so wonderful to let him help me so much at home this week. I never call for back-up, so I am so glad that Col W is understanding in this situation. We are also immensely blessed with amazing friends. Everywhere we live, God places saints and angels in our paths. Here in Texas, it's no different. Sweet, sweet Sarah saw the need to bring me a Starbucks treat yesterday morning (and you know how I love some Starbucks) and come over to visit me a while. It made me feel so much better just to have a companion for a bit. Then, Gretchen and her family brought us dinner last night, and Heather and her family are bringing dinner tomorrow night. I can't even believe their thoughtfulness! Everybody has to deal with sick kids, and we're no different, but they are so generous with their love for us and they're showing it by lifting one of our burdens. Proof of God's love and mercy through His people. Amazing.
For now, I am going to bed. Steroid boy will be up and at 'em in no time...
A favorite activity this week has been emptying the recycling bin and walking around with the evidence. Here, Tyler was enthralled with my Starbucks cup, and he even imitated drinking from it at one point. I'm so glad he's got such good taste!
5 comments:
Can you give him the steroid in the morning? If so, I'd do that...maybe it will wear off by his afternoon nap and won't effect his sleeping. I am so glad he seems to be feeling better...I hope you are feeling better too. Get some rest and call for back up when you need it....
I am very thankful for your friends there as well! You are most certainly blessed with great friends everywhere the Air Force takes you : )
As an old friend that feels way too far away in times like these, I am so thankful you are surrounded by such wonderful people.
Prayers are going up that our Tyler will be back to new quickly. Hang in there!
I've been out of touch-I haven't read your blog in a days!!! Look at what I've missed! Wow.
Sending up some prayers for a speedy recovery. Those steroids are NO fun that's for sure!
Nevertheless, that last picture is absolutely adorable!!
Lots of hugs and kisses to sweet Ty! Hope he gets to feeling better soon. In the meantime, give him all the yogurt smoothies he wants:)
Post a Comment