Friday, December 28, 2007

Tired, Tired, Tired


Well, folks, I am 39 weeks and 5 days pregnant. Sunday is the official due date. I am not feeling too lucky, so I wouldn't gamble on an on-time or early arrival by any means.

I had my weekly check-up today, and it was mostly uneventful. I didn't see the doctor I was scheduled to see because she was backed up, so I saw another doctor...par for the course. She was nice and thorough, so I definitely won't complain.

My mission upon arrival was to insist that they check my amniotic fluid levels again since they were low-ish a couple of weeks ago when I went in to Labor & Delivery on the weekend. Luckily, I was put in an exam room that had an ultrasound machine in it, so the doctor didn't hesitate to check me out. When I went in the other week, my first fluid level came back at a 5, which was apparently low. They checked a second time and got an 8, which was enough to get me approved to go home. Today, she got a 7.5, and it seemed she had to look around a while to find enough pockets of fluid to get that measurement. She told me to come back to L&D on Sunday (my due date, 12/30) to be checked again. If the fluid levels register a 6 or a 6.5, she said they'd likely induce me at that time. But, mind you, this is military medicine we're talking about, and a different doctor might have a totally different idea. She is supposed to leave a note in my file, so we'll see what happens. As I said before, I am not betting on anything productive occurring anytime soon.

The rest of the check-up was fairly mundane. I "might" be dilated to 1.5 cm, and I am still 50% effaced. Obviously, all the walking and housework I've been killing myself to do haven't helped at all. The coolest thing that happened was that we were able to see Tyler practicing his breathing skills while we looked at the ultrasound. His little ribcage was expanding and contracting just like he was a breathing machine! I was so proud to see his talents! Babies often practice breathing movements in utero, but you don't often catch them in the act, according to the doctor. She said this shows that he is doing well and is not in any distress. Praise the Lord!

So, all in all, we are just waiting for the little guy to make his move. Danny has been saying he'll be born on the 30th, so he is especially looking forward to our trip to the hospital on Sunday. If nothing transpires before then, my next appointment will be on Thursday, Jan. 3rd, and they will schedule me to be induced at that time. My original prediction was Jan. 4th, so I still have a chance to be the big winner, but I would love to be wrong and have him earlier!!

I am really, really tired at this point. Sleeping at night is fruitless. Taking naps doesn't work well either. I think this is the beginning of the end to my peaceful nights of slumber!

As promised, we will keep you updated on any and all news. Thanks for your love and prayers!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh I am so excited and cannot wait to hear that he is here safely! love you, kyle