Monday, December 10, 2007

Just another day in paradise...

er, well, at Wilford Hall.

As you all know, I have had nothing but trouble out of this pre-natal experience at Wilford Hall. It's like one joke after another at that place. If you don't believe me, ask Danny or my mother. They are both witnesses to the insanity.

Well, it continued today. Danny and I headed across town in the cold and rain to my OB appointment. Somehow, we just knew that we were going to get some earth-shattering news today, and we were so excited about the appointment. I don't know what we expected, but we thought we were in for something big. I think Danny was still hoping the doctor could perform some voodoo ritual to figure out when this baby is going to get here. Regardless, we drove with anticipation.

We arrived on base and headed for the third trimester parking area because we finally got a parking pass at my last visit. Of course, no spaces available. So, we parked in lot B, row 17 (I'm telling you, the place is like an airport).

After hiking to the hospital entrance, I just knew I was going to go into labor before I made it to the fifth floor. I am discovering what other women mean when they say they feel like the baby is about to fall out. That's happening quite a bit these days after my walks.

We made it to the OB Clinic and checked in. It was the busiest we had ever seen it, but we didn't have to wait too long. The chick who took my vitals was a little odd. I'd never seen her before, but she asked me the same questions numerous times and she would talk to herself while she was checking me out. It was not comforting.

When I got into the exam room, I waited a short time before the odd chick came in and listened for the baby's heartbeat. It's always been the doctor who would do that before, so I'm not sure what she was doing, but maybe I was serving as practice for her. I couldn't figure it out, and she continued to carry on with her odd mannerisms.

I waited a few more minutes until the doctor came in. I had never seen her before, which seems to be the standard practice around there. She was really nice but delivered no exciting news. She rechecked the baby's heartbeat (about 140 beats per minute), measured my fundal height (37.5 cm), confirmed that the baby's head is down, and looked at my swollen ankles. Same old, same old.

Well, I had to have my Group B Strep test today, so she left the room for me to change. I was not looking forward to this part at all, but my legs were shaved (shaven?), so I was as ready as I could be. I thought that while she dealt with the test she'd check my cervix for any dilation or other progress. Nope. She did the swab, pulled off her gloves, and told me we'd check my cervix at my next appointment.

When she left the room, I looked at Danny in total disbelief. You see, I am 37 weeks along. At any "normal" practitioner's office, I would have been checked by now. Not to mention, I would have already been attending weekly appointments. Not so in the military. They do not seem to care who you are or what is happening with you. They will see you when they see you.

And, that point was totally driven home when, on the way out, the secretary gave me the last appointment available for next week. It won't be until Dec. 19th, and it's in the late afternoon with some doctor I've never seen (surprise, surprise).

We asked about touring the labor and delivery area, and they told us just to go over there and someone would show us around. Ha, ha. The "tour" consisted of one of the nurse's station attendants showing us a room. That was it. Oh, and they informed us that we needed to be sure to call when I go into labor just so they can be certain they have a room available. If there's no room at the inn, you are sent to a hospital downtown. I thought I might wet myself when they told us this...more so from looking at Danny's reaction than anything else. He joked about having to take me to Bethlehem on a donkey for the rest of the day. Again, I don't know what we expected, but we thought we'd get a little more than that. I guess you get what you pay for.

Before we left, we went down to Admissions to get my pre-admission paperwork done. We waited for quite a while, but once they called us over, things went quickly. It was a little surreal filling out paperwork for my unborn child's social security card and birth certificate. Very weird.

In short, we didn't get the grandiose news we thought we were going to get. I think we are going to have to bring our expectations down a notch or two in the weeks to come. Otherwise, one of us might go crazy! It's just so weird to know that I could have this baby anytime now...in the next ten minutes or in the next five weeks (Lord, help me if it's the latter). I'm not good without a schedule and a plan, so this not knowing what to expect thing is really raining on my parade. But, I know it will be wonderful whenever the time comes.

Here are some pictures to tickle your funny-bone:

37 weeks, 1 day

Thought I might ought to get one with my face in it for once...

5 comments:

Joy Peterson said...

I am still laughing about the donkey thing....I am sure glad I don't have miliary insurance. I love some Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA! I think that is so odd that they didn't check your cervix, but be thankful, because it always hurt like hell to me. Then again, nothing in those last weeks of pregnancy are comfortable.

You still look as cute as ever in those pregnancy pictures! And I can't believe that you'll be seeing a different doctor AGAIN! I am thinking that when you get pregnant again, I'd have my own insurance through your job and go see regular doctors...I imagine your experience will be much, much different.

Bill said...

Jennifer, I declare, you are precious pregnant! Your face looks just as normal as can be. Oh, you cute pregnant women just make me sick.

The military stinks when it comes to stuff like this - yet another reason I want to get pregnant while we are here, in Civilian-land. I'm sorry you are having to deal with the crappy service, BUT it is FREE. We didn't pay one penny when HCB was born. There is something to say for that, I guess.

It won't be long, kiddo. Enjoy the time left with just the two of y'all!

Unknown said...

You are absolutely glowing in that picture! You look great!
I don't know how you deal with all the changes in doctors and nurses so well-it would be very hard to keep my mouth shut!
And yes, be glad they didn't check your cervix!!! It does hurt like hell, worse than a PAP!
We're thinking about you and keeping our fingers crossed that you have little Ty very soon!

kyle hitchcock said...

you look amazing, cannot wait to see pics of that little man soon! Yall better call me when you head to ga!!! love, kyle

KatieMGreen said...

You're looking great!!!

Don't worry, they don't do checks here at 37 weeks either... they checked me at 36, and was a 1. Then at 37, I brought my mom and thought surely they'd check me now that i was going weekly AND already a 1. But they don't at 37. They said checking too much could stir stuff up. But I asked them to anyway with a pouty face. I felt stupid - b/c it's not lie it's "fun" getting checked, but you're so anxious at this point. And, not to worry ya, but they didn't check me at 38 either. That time, I didn't ask, I just went home disappointed!! Hopefully they will you.