Friday, October 10, 2008

Nine Month Check-Up

Tyler went in for his nine month well-baby appointment this morning, and, as expected, everything looks fantastic!

He still weighs 20.8 pounds (and has since his six month appointment). His height keeps changing, but I think it's an improper science and depends on who the tech is that does the measuring and how straight they can get the baby. Last time he went in for a sick visit, he was 28 inches, but, today, he was 27.5 inches. Whatever. His head is 47 cm in circumference, so he's still got a big ol' brain in there!

The only "check" he didn't get was on teeth. The sweet child still does not have a single tooth in his head (at least where we can see them), but the doctor assured me that that is okay. Some teeth are slower than others and don't come in until 12-14 months, and he even said some kids are born with a tooth or two...that's crazy! So, we're still in the middle of the spectrum, I suppose.

The one thing that had me furrowing my brow was the suggestion that he should come off of bottles now. He still needs to take in the same amount of formula every day, but they said he needs to be drinking it from a cup. Well, he is a pro at the sippy cup and at drinking from a straw, but I always give him water in those cups. I have no idea how to convince him to drink 24 ounces of formula a day out of one of those things. They are sippy cups, and he sips from them as opposed to drinking large quantities from them. And, that kind of messes up the bedtime routine to some extent. Anyone else have this issue at nine months? I had planned to keep using bottles until he quits the formula at a year and then put regular milk in the sippy cup. Now, I am totally confused. Never heard this before. Have you?

All in all, we have a healthy, happy, growing baby boy. He'll go back to the doctor in January when he turns a year old, and, until then, we hope we can steer clear of the place. I'm not a fan of waiting room/doctor's office germs, especially when it's a military clinic and there is no well-baby side where you can hide.

We hope to have some pictures up this weekend. I tried several times today to get a photo or two, but there was no such luck. Maybe he was still mad that he lost half an inch of his height...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I never put formula in anything but a bottle. Will kept drinking it from a bottle until he got to the point he didn't want a bottle anymore (which was around 11 months). He weened himself.
Does that help?

KatieMGreen said...

yeah... i have never heard of weaning from a bottle that early!! Bella is still doing milk in bottle, and she's a year today. I'm just now thinking about it. I think drinking whole milk is a good first step, then go to the sippy. Heck, Bella doesn't even like the sippy now. We do straw cups and she loves them!

Joy Peterson said...

I am glad you got Ty on the straw..Addison still can't figure out those straws and she's almost 2!

I wouldn't worry about weaning him off the bottle yet...I'd wait until he's a year..there's no hurry in it. Addie had her last bottle on her one year b-day.

Can't believe he's already 9 months!!!