Friday, September 26, 2008

Fall = County Fairs

Wow! I didn't realize that it had been an entire week since I last blogged. Sorry about that. I have more than enough to make up for it today.

Over the past week while I have not been blogging, I've been heartily entertained by the blogs of fellow high school classmates who still live in or near my hometown of Lawrenceville, Georgia. They have all posted entertaining stories and sweet pictures in regard to the Gwinnett County Fair that is happening now and is a tradition of great magnitude where I was raised. There were stories of daddy-daughter fair dates that still happen annually even once the daughter became a mother herself; stories of carnival games that resulted in five new pet fish; stories of fair food that was delicious as it went in, but not as delicious when it came back up. There were pictures of first rides, prizes won, and new fall family traditions. It all made me a little nostalgic, if not a little, tiny bit homesick.

However, my need for fall familiarity was comforted today when I went to the Comal County Fair Parade. It is, believe it or not, an even bigger deal than the Gwinnett County Fair. Get this: all the schools in the county were closed today for the parade and so that the students could go to the opening day of the fair. It was a HUGE deal. I've never seen anything like it.

We actually live in Guadalupe County, but Comal County bumps right up against us and is the home of the city of New Braunfels, a lovely German-American town that we regularly visit. I wouldn't have known anything about the events today if it weren't for a dear friend at church, Cynthia, whose family has made this day a tradition for more than 25 years. She invited all of the stay-at-home moms in our Sunday School class to join her family for the parade and a BBQ lunch afterwards. I do not exaggerate when I say that today was one of the best days I've had in a long, long time.

Literally, I got chills up and down my arms as I watched the parade floats prepare for their journeys. Flashbacks of my cheerleading days ripped through my mind along with those same feelings of excitement and anticipation. I sure thought we were something fantastic in the back of those pick-up trucks!

I also felt a great sense of pride and comfort being among hometown kind of folks. Many of the families represented along those streets and in the parade have made their lives in that very county, and this parade and fair represent all the good they have worked to produce for generations beyond their own to enjoy. Plus, you can't beat a parade where there's a Watermelon Queen, Rodeo Queens, FFA Floats by the dozen, and John Deere tractors taking up the rear.

I'm so glad we were able to join Cynthia and her family today. It was Tyler's very first parade experience, and he liked everything about it except when the firetrucks, police cars, and ambulances went through with all their sirens blaring. I thought his head was going to go through my chest; he was so scared. Poor guy. The BBQ after the parade was fantastic and exposed us to a new little place to check out again (they had saddles for kids' seats!). And, Tyler and I took a stroll on our own to the town square to check out the famous Naegelin's Bakery. We bought six chocolate chip pecan cookies and three German pretzels (they are like pastry pretzels with glaze on the outside...yummy!).

It was a perfect day for a parade and a perfect day for a stroll with my baby boy. I am going to bed tonight as one very content and happy lady!


This is Cynthia's husband, Anthony, with Tyler. We try to be nice to him even though he's an Auburn fan.

This is Anthony's mother, who goes by Gigi, with Cynthia and Anthony's daughter Kallie.




Ty was particularly fond of all the balloons.

Gretchen and Nicole




Gretchen and her girls, Natalie and Nicole








Tyler loves Mrs. Cynthia...and her water bottle.

This little place seems to be a private residence, and they certainly haven't slacked on their decorating budget. We pass by it all the time when we are driving (it is right next to our favorite restaurant), but when Ty and were on foot today, I decided to take a few pictures. I've never seen anything quite like it. Oh, in case you aren't sure, those are fake people and horses...



Look who was waiting for us when we got home! I haven't seen him all summer. I'm thrilled to know he's still residing with us. I wish he would show himself more often--he's a good security system.

1 comments:

Bill said...

YOU LOOK AWESOME! So skinny and pretty.

I love fairs too. And I especially love that picture of Ty behind the balloon. Very artistic.

Glad y'all had such a good time. Wish I had some cotton candy right now...