Friday, April 2nd, 2010
After Lydie's MRI in early March, we were given a few more appointments to which she needed to go in an effort to rule out any and all medical contributors to her delayed development. We dutifully took her for an evaluation and assessment with two therapists, which led to her being approved for physical therapy; we were sure to take her for an ultrasound of her kidneys to determine whether the excess fluid seen there on the MRI was anything to be concerned about (it wasn't); and, finally, we took her to see a pediatric neurologist.
As expected, as soon as she laid eyes on those white coats, she freaked out. And didn't stop. But, the doctor (who was surprisingly aged for an active duty Army Colonel), was calm and assuring during his evaluation.
At the end of all his poking, prodding, and measuring, he looked at me and said, "Well, do you have any questions for me?"
Without hesitation, I said, "Yes, I do. What's wrong with my baby?"
He grinned and gave me a medical diagnosis and explanation that could have come directly from the latest neurological textbook. And, then, he said, "Basically, I call all of that 'lazy baby syndrome.'"
Well, good. Lydie is just lazy.
He went on to say that I ought not spend too much time worrying about it because when she gets good and ready to do something, she'll figure out how to do it. He didn't even think physical therapy was completely necessary.
I wouldn't go that far, but it was nice to know that there wasn't anything else going on with her neurologically that we would need to evaluate further.
At the end of the appointment, he sent us to the lab so they could draw four vials of blood. Let me assure you, that was not the most pleasant experience I have ever had, particularly when it resulted in Lydie and I both being spattered with her blood.
Nothing a little hydrogen peroxide can't fix.
Once we returned home, Noni and Poppy agreed to listen out for the children so Danny and I could go to lunch together. I needed a few minutes to unwind my nerves, so it was a good break. After lunch, we celebrated our lazy baby by buying her a new "big girl" car seat.
She can't face forward until she's a year old, but she already weighs twenty pounds and is entirely too long for her carrier. I love the carrier days, but I will fully welcome the facing forward in the car seat days as soon as they arrive. Somehow, it resembles impending toddlerhood and more independence.
Well, that's what it resembles when you're not talking about a lazy baby, but I am confident my lazy baby won't be lazy for much longer!!
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Diagnosis
Posted by The Watsons at 4:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm thinking I'll turn Connor around when he is 11 months old like I did with Addison...his poor legs are so squished up - even in his new carseat!
So glad that she's just a lazy girl!!!She may be lazy, but she is a cutie!
THE PICTURES ARE PRECIOUS. I also love those of Easter that you sent. Lydia Rose is not lazy. She is smart as can be. Just ask her Papa. She is really growing and I really long to hold her. Tyler is also really growing. Tell my big boy how much I love and miss him too. I really enjoy your writing sweet Jennifer. Danny, I really enjoyed our last talk. I do wish I could have been at the sunrise service. I am sure it was a once in a life experience for both of you. Tell B. and F. that I really appreciate their making it possible for you to go. Dodge that pollen. It is covering everything here as much as it has ever done in my life. Jennifer, this is another good reason for you to keep them longer. Love, Love, Love.........Papa Joe
THE PICTURES ARE PRECIOUS. I also love those of Easter that you sent. Lydia Rose is not lazy. She is smart as can be. Just ask her Papa. She is really growing and I really long to hold her. Tyler is also really growing. Tell my big boy how much I love and miss him too. I really enjoy your writing sweet Jennifer. Danny, I really enjoyed our last talk. I do wish I could have been at the sunrise service. I am sure it was a once in a life experience for both of you. Tell B. and F. that I really appreciate their making it possible for you to go. Dodge that pollen. It is covering everything here as much as it has ever done in my life. Jennifer, this is another good reason for you to keep them longer. Love, Love, Love.........Papa Joe
Post a Comment