While Danny and Lydie stayed in Virginia, Tyler and I went "home" this weekend.
We returned to San Antonio, Texas for some much-needed time with familiar faces and familiar places. I only wish we could have stayed longer.
For whatever reason, this most recent move with the Air Force has been extremely difficult for our family. Perhaps the addition of two children changed the dynamic of our PCS experience, but, regardless, I am no longer comfortable with the instability of this lifestyle. Being a stay-at-home mom in an urban area where there are very few other stay-at-home moms available for befriending makes things pretty lonely most of the time. I was so happy in Texas and the main reasons were because of our church family and because of my other mom friends and their sweet children. We had a great routine going on, and I fiercely miss the stability and the sense of connectedness that our life in Texas provided.
But, the Air Force told us to move, so we moved. And, we'll continue to move as long as Danny remains happy with his career and chooses to be a part of the military.
It is what it is.
No doubt, however, I enjoyed breathing the crisp Texas air and seeing the faces and hugging the necks of so many people who I love so dearly. It was a little refreshment for my soul.
Our primary purpose for the trip was to attend Tyler's best friend, Kai's, birthday party. It's hard to believe our boys are turning two! It seems like just moments ago they were five months old and barely moving at The Little Gym.
We stayed with Kai and his family at their beautiful home. Jamala and I became fast friends when we lived in Texas, and I am SO thankful that she is a part of my life. She and her husband, Voke, are just the sweetest folks you'll ever meet. They were so kind to let us move in with them for a few days, and I hope the joy of the sound of two squealing little boys made all the chaos worth it in the end!!
Kai's birthday party was fantastic, but the best part was getting to see all of our Little Gym buddies and their moms. What a treat! It's amazing how much all of our babies have changed in a year!
While we were visiting, we also got to meet up with some of our church friends for breakfast. It delighted my heart to see Cynthia and her daughters, Kallie and Sarah, Gretchen and her daughter, Noelle, and Julie. I just wanted to cry when we had to part ways. Those girls have been such a special part of my life and I am forever grateful for their friendships.
I also was blessed to be able to hang out with my old Bachelor/Bachelorette crowd. Remember how we used to meet up every Monday night to watch that ridiculous show together? Those gals are a blast! It was more than exciting to spend some time catching up with Celeste, Sarah, and Jodi. I am so thankful that they took the time out of their weekends to visit with me.
When it was time to go to the airport on Saturday afternoon, I found myself desperate for more time with my friends, desperate to watch my children grow up with their children, desperate to hear one more sermon at my church, desperate for one more walk in my old neighborhood, desperate to re-inhabit the house I brought my babies home to, desperate for a few more breaths of that air. Desperate, really, for how things were just a few months ago.
I have more than plenty to be thankful for, that's for sure. But, I can't help but wish things were different for us. I cling to the hope that things in Virginia will get better in a few months, but, in the meantime, I will cherish the memories I have from our time in Texas.
Going "home" meant the world to me.
Ty was so good on the flight that the flight attendant gave him wings from the pilot when we were leaving. I had to drop everything to grab my camera, so this was all I could get. Mama was proud to earn those wings!! My little guy is such a fantastic traveler!
Eating Moe's during our layover in Atlanta. This experience confirmed why I wanted an umbrella stroller with a tray!
I wish I had video taped the moment these two boys saw each other. To say they were excited is an understatement. It was a blessing to see.
You should see this little cowboy jumping up and down on this horse. He's fearless!
My favorite picture from the whole weekend.
Kai's birthday cupcakes
My little cowboy
Megan--all grown up and as cute as can be!
Skylar and Tyler coloring together
Birthday Boy!
Skylar and Sloane
Cupcake with TWO candles this year!
Jamala and her little birthday boy










5 comments:
Well, I cried as I read your blog tonight. We miss you guys dearly and are so thankful you and Ty were able to make the trip. I so miss our Sonic runs, lunches with the boys, outlet extravaganzas, and I could go on and on. Kai and I will be in DC as soon as possible, but until then we will have to return to our marathon phone conversations. Miss you and Love you.
Jamala
So glad you had a great time! You're looking great in that picture, sister!
So glad you had such a good time with your precious friends.
Virginia will get better. Remember that you couldn't stand San Antonio when you first got there either. It just takes time, but you already know that.
The adjusting might be difficult, but you sure make it look easy.
(and you look awesome in that picture, too)....
I am so glad that ya'll had the opportunity to go back "home" for a visit. It is wonderful that you have made these lifetime friends.
Your time in Virginia is almost half over. The last few months will fly by.
Wish you had the video of the boys first seeing each other. That had to be a great sight!
Love,
Mom
i'll be praying for you that you'll feel more at home in VA. Sorry it has been hard, I can only imagine.
But your kids are adorable, and I'm jealous of how good Ty was for you on the flight. He looks like the perfect travel partner!!!
Yall take care and hang in there!! I know soon you'll meet some great friends there, too!!
Post a Comment