Sunday, September 20, 2009

Look Who's Four Months Old Today!


Dear Lydia,

Today you are four months old. I would be willing to bet that you've had one of the most adventurous starts to life any little one could have.

You were born in San Antonio and stayed just long enough to appreciate the smell of Mexican food and meet some dear friends. Then, you moved to Alexandria, VA at barely two months of age and lived at the Gaylord Hotel and Resort for a week before moving into our new home where you got your very own room for the first time. You've already been to the National Mall where you've seen the Washington Monument, the World War II Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, and the Lincoln Memorial. You've strolled past the White House and through Arlington National Cemetery. You've even been to Sesame Place, which was the highlight of your mother's summer. Besides traveling via airplane from Texas to Virginia, you've also been to Maryland to visit Mommy's college friend, Rachel, and her family, and to North Carolina to visit/meet Aunt Lou Anne, Uncle Travis, Lilli, Amelia, Collin, Mamama, Papa Joe, Noni, and Poppy.

Whew, girl, you've only just begun!!

It is so amazing to look at your sweet smile today and appreciate how much you've grown in such a short time. I just don't think we could love you any more. As I look over at you now, you are "talking" to me while you sit in your bouncy seat, slowly pulling your socks off and drooling all over yourself. You are a beautiful sight.

At four months, you are drinking about five, six ounce bottles a day, but that has varied some depending on the day. It has varied lately, too, because some Apple Prune juice has become a necessary addition to your diet (although we're not sure it's helping too much). While most babies are already drinking from fast-flow nipples, you are content to use the slow-flow. The fast-flow just means less milk in your tummy and more laundry for Mommy. Needless to say, I don't think we'll be starting you on any solids for another month or so.

You still won't take a pacifier and you haven't chosen a finger to suck; you just gnaw all over your hands all day long. Hence, part of your drooling issue.

Your head is pretty steady on your shoulders, although you still bobble on occasion. You are not too fond of tummy time, but, this morning, you were up on your forearms looking all over the room to see what your big brother was doing. You haven't rolled over yet, but you love to grab your feet and roll to your left side. Maybe you'll roll on over before long.

This week, you'll begin going to gym class, and I can't wait to see if you'll love as much as Tyler always has. One thing is for sure--it will get us out of the house and give you something really fun to do.

I love your curious eyes and how you are aware of every single thing that is going on around you. You are especially interested in all of Ty's antics. I think that's why you try not to sleep during the day--there's too much you might miss. Instead, as soon as Ty goes up for his bubble bath, you're ready to wind down. Believe me, that schedule suits me just fine because you are sleeping at least nine hours a night, and, sometimes, a little more than that. Sleeping babies make Mommy really happy.

All in all, you are just perfect. You look like a little doll, and I am terribly sorry that you don't get to wear more bows in your gorgeous head of hair. I just can't keep up with them. I'm SO not a frilly mom; I hope you'll forgive me. I'm even dreading this winter because any dresses you wear will require tights, and I just don't even know where to begin with those. In short, what I'm saying is, it's a good thing you are absolutely adorable all on your own because you sure don't get your share of accessories around here!

We love you, Lydie, more than you know. We are excited to watch you grow, but we will miss these sweet infant days when they're gone.

Okay, you are now on the brink of screaming in the bouncy seat. I interpret those cries as, "I want my bath, my bottle, and my bed. In that order, please. NOW!"

Got it, kiddo. Warm bubbles coming right up.

Lots of love,
Mommy and Daddy



5 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

I love her, too. I can't believe these kiddos have been around for 4 months. Although in some ways, it seems like they've been here forever.

Can't wait to hear all about Little Gym!

Jamala said...

How is it possible that they have grown that much in three weeks? I just can not believe it.

Joy Peterson said...

Love this post...makes me miss my little connor so much!

ewhill said...

This post will mean so much to Lydie one day. I am thrilled that you are documenting these days for your children. What fun they will have reading all about their early years.

Love,
Mom

Laurie said...

Lydie is absolutely adorable!!! Such a cute picture of her sitting up and smiling! I always enjoy getting caught up. Hope all is well in VA/DC.