Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Never-Ending Illness

Because I had a gut feeling that Tyler's cough had worsened again since his last steroid pill on Sunday, and because I had no idea when in tarnation they expected us to stop using Amoxicillin, and because I just felt like somebody around here might need some reassurance that Ty was on the right track to wellness, I took him back to the doctor this morning for another look.

Good thing. His oxygen saturation levels were 95 and 96%, which is about where they were last week. The doctor still heard the same wheezing in his chest that she heard last week. His breaths were still too frequent, and, on top of all of that, he now has an ear infection.

Don't miss that this ear infection developed despite a twice daily dose of antibiotics that has been given now for nine days straight.

Given that things in the lung department weren't any better and given that there is now an ear infection involved, Dr. J ordered another set of chest x-rays because she feared that the original diagnosis of pneumonia may have come to fruition after all.

Luckily, that's not the case.

She said that his x-rays showed his lungs looking about the same way they did ten days ago. They aren't better, but they aren't worse.

What now?

We have stepped up the antibiotic to something stronger (that I can't recall the name of right now) and we are continuing the four times a day breathing treatments (that are becoming all-out war to dispense). Steroids can't be given too much, so that's no longer an option, and she didn't suggest another nebulizer treatment. We are to continue what we're doing and check back with her in a week if things don't seem any better.

Lord, help things be better.

It's hard to see your child so uncomfortable and know that a lot of this is a waiting game. But, we are doing all we know to do and praying for a speedy recovery.

Tomorrow, Tyler will be 13 months old...I promise to include a picture or two. I know y'all just check in to see how we're lookin' over here...

:)

2 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

I'm glad you followed your gut instinct, and took him back to the doctor. Hopefully this more aggressive treatment will get him on the mend for good. Sick kids are difficult on the whole family. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

oh, i know how frustrating that is. when you guyst want to make them better and can't!! we did the same antibiotic treatment with harry over his ear infection that hung around for TWO MONTHS!!! i felt terrible that he'd been dealing with it for that long...we ended up with antibiotics via a few shots, and things are finally looking up. i'll be thinking about you guys!