Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Monkey in my Womb!

San Antonio, Part II, will be published eventually. Just keep checking back. My moment of writer's inspiration is forthcoming...


I know I haven't faithfully blogged lately, but that is for a very good reason. As some of you know, I have dealt with some pesky spotting during my pregnancy that has had me nervous on more than one occasion about the well-being of my baby. Well, those moments were nothing compared to last Thursday afternoon.



I was busy around the house managing laundry and cleaning duties that needed to be done. I realized I had consumed a large amount of water and had not had a potty break for a while, so I stopped my household duties long enough for a trip to the bathroom. This was a normal visit until I realized that the word "spotting" had nothing on what was happening to me at that moment. I will save the gory details and jump to the part where I ran to the phone to call Dr. Ware and report the issue. Long story short, she told me I needed to come in for an ultrasound on Friday morning.



Thursday night couldn't have been any longer. I took to the bed with my feet up immediately, and I stayed there until the morning when it was time for a shower. Once I got ready, I could feel my anxiety taking an uphill climb. By the time Danny and I arrived at the doctor's office, I was just about in a full-fledged panic. In fact, once Dr. Ware met me in the ultrasound room, I was all-out crying, complete with gasps for breath. I just couldn't bare for that ultrasound to show that anything was wrong with my baby.



While Dr. Ware started the ultrasound, I stared at the ceiling until she told me that she could see the heartbeat. Praise God! When I looked over at the screen, I could see little arms doing boxing moves in my uterus. The baby was pretty active, so it was tough to get good pictures, but we tried (see below). In one of them, I swear I'm giving birth to a monkey...clearly the result of this child being Danny Watson's offspring! :)



In short, we discovered that the baby's placenta is covering the opening to my cervix, which is called Placenta Previa later in pregnancy. It can cause bleeding throughout the pregnancy, though it usually shows up more during the third trimester. However, because I am still fairly early in my pregnancy, Dr. Ware thinks the placenta will move into the correct position with some rest and a more easygoing lifestyle (I guess moving to a whole new place in a month could be considered easygoing???).



Anyhow, enjoy the latest pictures of Baby Watson who looks like a little ape right now! I go back to the doctor on July 6th for a regular exam, and then the following week she is going to do an ultrasound to try to determine the baby's gender. Yea!



In the meantime, please pray for a traveling placenta and a healthy baby monkey!

Look at that mouth area! Looks just like a monkey baby...

You can see the little feet to the right.

This is a more normal picture of Baby Watson!

The baby is resting on the placenta which is the thick area beneath its body. The placenta should be above the baby. Let's pray that it moves to the correct position!

4 comments:

Ginger Carter Miller said...

I am really glad everything is OK. At least you know what's what right now. Take it easy, ok?

Joy Peterson said...

I have to say--the top image isn't so flattering, but I am sure it was just the angle at which the image was taken. I am positive that you aren't growing a monkey in your womb, but even if you are, the safari themed bedding will go along perfectly! : )

Seeing pics of this baby make me very happy!

Anonymous said...

placenta previa is very common, nothing to stress about! so glad that is what the spotting is coming from....they all go through monkey stages too....I need to send you a funny pic of canon...looks like a monkey staring at you in 4-d! hang in there, your worrying as a mother is just beginning! love, kyle

The Watsons said...

Lord, Kyle, I already need anxiety medication as it is! If it gets any worse, I'm sure to be institutionalized! I know what you mean though. I am already worrying about how to prevent SIDS, what if the baby has a developmental defect, what if, what if, what if...