Sunday, June 10, 2007

Baby Watson Update!

On Friday, June 8th, Danny and I went to see Dr. Ware to check on our little Baby Watson. Since I'd already had two ultrasounds, I figured this would be a very basic appointment. We went in and did all the routine things (urine sample, weight, blood pressure, etc.). Once Dr. Ware came in, she asked how I was feeling. I reported that I was ridiculously tired and depressed. She confirmed that I was totally normal and would feel better by week 14.

Then, she wanted to try to find the fetal heartbeat with the handheld doppler. She explained that since I was 10 weeks and five days, it might be a little early to detect the tones with the doppler. I'm glad she warned me because I was starting to get nervous when she couldn't pick up anything. After trying for several minutes, she decided to send me to the ultrasound room for a heartbeat confirmation.

This was the best part of the whole day!

The normal ultrasound technician isn't there on Fridays, so one of the nurses did the honors. She admitted that she wasn't a pro on the machine, but that she had had several courses and could handle the basics. Because she wasn't familiar with all the nuances of the machine, we couldn't get any measurements, but Baby Watson was really on the move! We got to see him/her kicking his/her little legs and feet and moving all around in my uterus. It was fantastic! The nurse pointed out the toes and fingers, but Danny and I agreed that we couldn't quite see fingers. Nonetheless, our untrained eyes were quite impressed! We were also able to see the spine, and you could tell where some facial features were evident.

All in all, it was the most memorable visit yet! I just keep seeing those little legs and feet kicking over and over again in my mind. I can't believe I'm three for three on ultrasounds, but I'm thrilled! I hope I can keep the record going!

We will return to Dr. Ware's office on July 9th for a regular appointment, and then she is going to schedule an ultrasound for the following week to determine whether we are having a boy or girl. I still think it's a boy, but I am anxious to find out for sure!

In the most recent photo, above, you can see Baby Watson's head pointing down and to the right, and you can clearly see little arms. It's difficult to see the legs and feet in the picture here because his/her legs are pointing forward towards the screen. In the actual photo, you can tell a little better. He/She is getting so big!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can totally see little arms!! Its so nice when you can actually see a little body with parts instead of a little blob! Wow, you're doing good getting 3 ultrasounds already! Some people only have 2 their whole pregnancy! I'm excited for you!

Joy Peterson said...

My doodlebug is so precious!!!

I was one of those people who only had 2 ultrasounds while pregnant! It was horrible waiting to see that precious baby, but in the end EVERYTHING is worth it!

Take care of my baby nephew!