Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey with Tyler

We're stuffed!

We had a fantastic Thanksgiving day with our little turkey! It was so much fun to spend the day together as a family with a couple of friends and enjoy yummy food, a nice nap, a couple of not-so-great football games (is Detroit kidding me?), and several bouts of robust laughter. It makes me excited to see what Christmas will be like around here!

I LOVE cooking Thanksgiving lunch. I have no idea why because on a normal occasion (like, every day) I despise the whole concept of cooking. But, on holidays, I just love it. Today, we had turkey (which I always make in the crock pot...so tender!), dressing, gravy (thanks, mom, for the last minute instructions!), cranberry sauce, field peas, baked corn, broccoli casserole, sweet potato bake, and deviled eggs. The deviled eggs were an eleventh hour craving, and Danny did an outstanding job locating a recipe and making them happen. We definitely need Ms. Bobbi's recipe, but these worked out well for today. For dessert, we had pecan pie from the local BBQ joint and pumpkin pie bars. Everything was really tasty, and my tummy is already growling thinking about having leftovers in just a little while.

You know how in every family there are those things that are always going to happen and you know that, but you don't like them just the same? Well, Danny has that feeling about one of my traditions and, unfortunately for his sake, it's just not going to change. You see, growing up, whenever we had family events at my Aunt Judy and Uncle Steve's house, Judy always, always, always had a cheese ball and crackers out for folks to munch on while we waited for lunch or dinner. I don't know why, but I can't get enough of a cheese ball and crackers. Literally, I could eat that as my meal and be perfectly fine. The problem is that Danny does not like cheese balls. Every time I set one out on a holiday, he makes comments about how he just doesn't like the idea of rolled up cheese. I feel bad that he never has a snack to whet his appetite, so I am determined to find something equally as easy to put out for him at Christmas. However, it will be located right next to my cheese ball!!

Enjoy a few snapshots of our Turkey Day. We sure feel blessed and can hardly believe that we'll have two little turkeys running around this time next year!

This is the typical "Tyler Squirm." He's not a fan of being held much these days since he now knows that he can go where he wants to on all fours.


Daddy did a better job of getting his attention for this one!

Little Indian!



Wouldn't be fair to leave out the pilgrims!

Yummy turkey and dressing and corn and broccoli!


We didn't realize that Danny was taking this one. In the middle is our friend Lisa, and to the right is Uncle Paul.


Uncle Paul designed this photo op:
"I ate way too much."

"Uggghhhh..."

Daddy and the little Indian

Discovering the wish bone

No wishes were officially made and the bone was never broken, but it made a fun toy.

Well, he might have made one wish...
"Please let Mommy have a baby brother."

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

9 comments:

Heather said...

These pictures are just too precious!! It is wonderful to know that you will have two little ones next year...hopefully another boy huh? :)

KatieMGreen said...

he is so cute... and i love those hats!!!!!

ewhill said...

This is so precious! Danny is such a great dad! He really looks good as a pilgrim!
Love,
Mom

Joy Peterson said...

oh how cute!!!!! He is growing up so quickly I swear....

and you still don't look an ounce pregnant....not fair!

max harrell said...

Hope his little sister doesn't get upset one day when she sees his wish! :-)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Paul said...

The pictures look great, thanks for the invitation and dinner. It was fun. I like the wishbone pictures, they show the struggle between the white man and the American Indian in a beautiful, succinct way. Perfect.

Bill said...

Um....oops, that was me that commented under Max Harrell.

And I failed to mention how adorable the pictures were.

Carly said...

Im a big fan of cheese balls too! Nothing like processed cheese rolled into a ball with chopped nuts and crackers:)

Im also a big. big, big fan of the Indian and pilgrim hats! These pics are priceless! So glad y'all had a happy T'Giving.

kyle hitchcock said...

Girl, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO impressed with you...ALREADY got my Christmas card from you...you win the prize this year! Hopefully I will get mine out asap! Love and miss yall, Tyler is GORGEOUS!!! kyle