Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dinner with the Watsons

Tonight, I was determined to cook dinner. I am not a cook. I mean, I can cook, I just prefer not to cook. Except for Thanksgiving. I can't get enough of cooking Thanksgiving lunch for some reason. But, that's still a couple of days away, and we need to eat before then. So, my sister-in-law's recipe for White Chicken Chili hit the counter and off I went.

Sort of.

It's very difficult to cook multi-step meals when there is a little person crawling at your feet. Especially when said little person pushes two of four kitchen chairs across the kitchen floor to practice his mad walking skills. Or, when you take a second to look for that little person because it is suddenly too quiet and you find him pulling all of his daddy's books off the big bookshelf. Nice.

So, it goes without saying that it took me almost two hours to cook a meal that shouldn't take more than about thirty minutes. I called Danny to usher him home, swore that I'd never cook dinner again, and saw to it that half the flour in the bag fell between the oven and the counter/cabinets (where it will stay, I might add, because I have no energy to deal with that particular mess right now).

Clearly, this was not going as planned.

Then, my almost-worst, living-in-Texas nightmare happened.

I opened my cabinet, where all of my dishes are kept, and a dang LIZARD was hanging out in the back behind my plates. Danny was there in a nanosecond based on my reaction to this sight and began instituting a plan of attack on this thing in my cabinet. Simultaneously, I continued freaking out, continued swearing off cooking dinner forever, and continued fussing at him for not getting rid of the lizard he saw on the ceiling last night because it was now playing in my dishes.

His response:

"How do you know this is the same lizard?"

I should have poisoned his chili right then and there.

After all my dishes had to be cleared out of the cabinet because the lizard took Danny on a wild creepy-crawly chase before it was captured (in one of my Rubbermaid containers, I might add). Danny then says to me, "What do you want to do with him?" Seriously?? Is that an acceptable question in that moment?

I exclaimed rather loudly and with no missed beats that that lizard and that husband needed to get out of my house, far away, very quickly.

And, they did.

After Danny said, "Come on little lizard. Let's take you outside where you belong" all sweetly to the creature as they headed for the back door. There should be no sweet-talking to lizards found in my kitchen cabinet.

You'll be glad to know that, against all odds, I was able to prepare and serve dinner. And, it was quite good actually.

Except for all the times that Danny said, "Gosh, this lizard sure does taste a lot like chicken."


Danny's office had a Thanksgiving Pot Luck today, and we were able to join them. Ty was the main attraction, by far!

4 comments:

Joy Peterson said...

This post is hilarious! Ugh, lee-zerds....gross...and in your cabinet. I too would have been upset that he didn't get the reptile last night...let's hope that's the same one....

ewhill said...

This is hysterical! You are so funny! I would haave disinfected all of my dinnerware for sure. Won't it be nice to be living in civilization again?
By the way, we had an article in the paper about the coyote problem up here. Also, there was a dead fox in the road on my way to school this past week. So, you are not the only one living with critters!
Talk to you soon!

max harrell said...

DC has no lizards! :-)

Seriously, that story had me cringing....(and laughing).

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful record of Tyler's first Thanksgiving. I want a picture of him as am indian and a pilgrim. He was so cute , and his daddy was a cute pilgrim too. There is a past relative named Pilgrim Watson I think since the lady at exercise is related to a pilgrim Watson. Have a great evening meal and remember that you are in our hearts in a special way today. Love Papa Joe and All