Even last year, while I was waddling around at about a thousand months pregnant, I knew I wanted Baby Tyler to have his very own Christmas tree in his bedroom from his first Christmas until he decides he doesn't want one in his room anymore.

That might happen sooner than expected.
On an outing to Wal-Mart yesterday, I found a three-foot, pre-lit tree for $18. Perfect size, reasonable price. Tyler agreed that he thought it looked nice, so we went ahead and threw it in the buggy along with a star for the top and a skirt for the bottom.
This afternoon, we decided to break the tree out of its box and get it all set up. Tyler was curious about it, but he mostly kept pulling books off the bookshelf (his favorite past time). So, in all of about four minutes, I had the tree up and running. Cute as could be.
In traditional blog-obsessed fashion, I grabbed my camera, plopped Tyler beside said tree, and began taking pictures of him with his very first tree. My dreams realized. All was well.
Until he pulled the tree on top of his head.
Screaming ensued.
Tears fell.
It got ugly.
Now, the sweet baby in these pictures won't even acknowledge the Christmas tree in his room. He usually plays on the floor for a few minutes after he drinks his last bottle and before he goes to bed. Tonight, he got on the floor, crawled towards his bookshelf, looked at the tree in the corner, and made a sharp right turn out of his bedroom. He left the vicinity completely.
This is not playing out as I had planned.
So, I am hoping against hope that he will decide to like the little tree in the corner. I sure think it's precious. And, as quick and easy as it was to put up, I am thinking of buying another one to serve as our "big" family tree this year instead of pulling out all my usual decor. The thought of decorating the house for Christmas makes me very, very tired. But, alas, it's my favorite time of year, so I'm sure I'll find the energy to make it happen.
If not, the little tree in the corner of Ty's room will work just as well. After all, someone ought to enjoy it!!


5 comments:
Put some ornaments on that tree...that will get him over there for sure! I'm already wondering about how to decorate a tree with kids running around the house.
Glad you are getting in the holiday spirit. I know it must be hard in the Texas weather.
You won't have that problem next year. It is freezing here!
You must put a big tree up...that's just not normal to not do that...Plus, you decorated for fall, you must decorate to celebrate Jesus' birth...
The tree is super cute. I'm with Julie, put some shiny ornaments on it and Ty will be back in no time...so will Miss Kitty : )
I'm thinking you're safe with trees now. He won't pull another one down on his head, I'm betting.
It looks a lot like the tree we got for our house in Tampa. Tyler and Randy will have their first ever trees this year!
I put up a little Charlie Brown tree in MR's room tonight too! Maybe sweet Ty will appreciate the tree more when it's dark and the Cmas tree lights shine bright!
Im just glad I'm not the only one already decorating for Christmas:)
GREAT JOB ON THE TREE.
Tyler looks as cute as ever. Mrs. Jackson and the ladies in the tax office (Board of Assessors) send greetings and beg you to send them pictures. Teresa G. Williams knew Jennifer at Cassa . Her number is 932-0122 at home. email
tgwilliams5265@yahoo.com
twilliams@baldwincountyga.com is the work email where everyone could see pictures. They were delighted to know that you had a son.
I am so glad that you started decorating early. I got out the red tree last night and bought blue weeping ???? to go in one of our arrangements. It is very cold here tonight and we really miss all of you. Love Papa Joe
Post a Comment