Monday, August 13, 2007

The Edgett Girls' Visit-Day 1

Our first day together was spent walking and walking and walking. We started out at the Natural Bridge Caverns which are only about ten minutes from my house. If you've ever been to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, these caverns would not impress you. But, with the recent heavy rainfall in the area, the whole bottom portion of the caverns were covered in water. That was definitely cool to see. There were even some minnows that had found their way into the deep darkness. Apparently, the cave has only been flooded like that twice in its history, so we were able to see something that you wouldn't normally see. I was proud that I survived climbing the mountain out of there, though I thought I was going to need oxygen by the time I saw daylight again!! Remember, I was 19 and a half weeks pregnant at this point!

After lunch and a break, we headed north to San Marcos to visit the outlets. I am always up for a shopping trip, but the heat and the asphalt parking lots just about did us in! Hey, girls just want to have fun!


The natural bridge that the caverns are named for


Kelly and Heather before the caverns tour

A completly formed column in the cave

All the pretty things you find in caves...

The water was hard to photograph in the dark, but here was my best shot. Understand that the railing you see is going down 35 stairs to the bottom-most part of the cave, which is normally part of the tour. However, the water was high enough to completely cover that bottom room and fill it up to the fourth step. You normally travel 180 feet below the surface, but with the water, we only made it to 108 feet. Very cool!

Jenn and Heather in the cave...there's the baby bump some of you were wanting to see.

0 comments: