Sunday, August 16, 2009

First Trip to D.C.

Sunday, August 9, 2009


Since Nana was nice enough to come and help us with our traumatic moving situation for a week, we decided to take her to downtown D.C. before she had to leave for the airport. She'd never been to D.C. before, so there was no reason not to get her there before she left.

We had a really nice, hot, tiring time. And, we learned that one of the things I previously thought might be a downer to living where we do--being right across the street from a Metro Station--is actually a huge advantage. We were pumped to take Ty on a "real" choo-choo train, and he returned the enthusiasm tenfold!!
The other thing I learned while we were out is that almost everyone in D.C. is in tip-top shape. I've never seen so many runners and walkers and rollerbladers in my life.

If I live here long, I might lose these 30 extra pounds after all...


Danny, Ty, and Lydie before our first Metro ride as a family.

Nana, Mamama, Ty, and Lydie waiting for the train.


I think Ty spotted the train coming into the station!





Our smallest passenger--she's such a joy!


With the Washington Monument behind us




World War II Memorial



World War II Memorial with Lincoln Memorial in the background










Little Miss Lydie required a snack break



The champ was hot and tired...can you tell?



The Watsons in front of the Gettysburg Address at the Lincoln Memorial.





View from the top step of the Lincoln Memorial



Mama Janet found her cousin's name on the Vietnam Memorial Wall--Calvin C. Hudson.




We walked by The White House just to say we did. These Republicans did not have any desire to linger.

And, I discovered that even the birds in D.C. must be Democrats because one spotted me and pooped right on my neck. Thank the Lord for baby wipes...



More D.C. adventures to come...

6 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

So glad y'all are already taking advantage of your close proximity to such a wonderful city. I LOVE DC.

That picture of Lydie on the train cracked me up. She looks terrified.

Joy Peterson said...

There is so much to see and do there...you must take advantage of all DC has to offer--even if you are Republican : )

Can't wait to see more pictures...

And I got tickled looking at these pictures--I mean, this group doesn't scream tourists or anything do you? Elaine in her Washington DC shirt, Janet with her camera and purse around her neck...they are too cute! Reminds me of my mom when we were in London.

Joe and Janet watson said...

I enjoyed he lovely pictues , and I am delighted that Jancet could come help you. She misses all of you, but I am so happy to have her home. It sounds like you have a lovely new place to live and explore. I really enjoyed seeing the children with their grandmothers. Hope you are both better. It sounds from Janet's comments that you will have a lovely home and that you have most thing organized. I love and miss you all. Wow, those grandchildren are really growing and getting better looking every day. We are so thankful for all of you . Love Papa Joe

Heather said...

I can't wait to see all the great monuments with you this spring or summer!!! Hope you are doing well my friend. Love you

Chris Steele said...

Side note: you have the same stroller as I do! Don't you love it!? I think if it ever breaks, I'll definitely replace it with another.

ewhill said...

Gee Joy,
I thought that I fit right in! I am an expert world traveler now. I know NEVER to wear white tennis shoes in Europe! I always buy T-shirts wherever I am in the world. This time though, the culprit was Jennifer. She bought that T-shirt for me when she went to D.C. in college. I thought it was appropriate. Ha! Ha! I was just glad to get some electric curlers to get rid of that washer-woman look I had at the Gaylord! Oh well, there are some great memories of this move. Hope to come back when everything is more settled! I want to keep the kids so that Danny and Jennifer can have a date night.
Love ya'll,
Mom