As you know from my previous post, Ms. Bobbie and Mr. Fred and Mr. Fred's sister, Jean, are all here to visit Danny and me. We are having so much fun!!
One of the things I love about Ms. Bobbie is that the girl knows how to cook. I'm not talking about just being able to whip up one or two things that are really good; I'm talking about the girl hasn't made anything yet that I don't like, and she's been cooking for me for almost five years. Before Ms. Bobbie and Mr. Fred come to visit, Danny and I always start planning the menu. We know exactly what we want her to make, we buy the supplies, and she makes our tummies really, really happy.
So far this week we've had: Coca-Cola Chicken, Field Peas with Okra, Rice (sounds simple, but there's an art to it), Pork Chops, Cabbage, Sweet Potatoes, Pasta Salad, Cherry Pie, and several other things I'm forgetting here. Believe me, it's been delicious.
Now, those of you who know me well know that I am not the best in the kitchen. I do have some signature dishes, but they are few and far between. This week, I've tried to cook some things, too, and I've been pleased with the results and the compliments. Tonight, however, I got the best results of the week from a simple recipe I've known my entire life.
One of my special requests this week was a bar-b-que dinner. Ms. Bobbie ought to open her own place as good as her bbq is. Anyway, we bought the Boston Butt Pork Roast and it cooked all day today in the oven. To go with it, Ms. Bobbie made some Brunswick Stew and Cole Slaw. She wanted to make beans, so I offered to make my recipe for Cowboy Beans. None of the folks here had ever had them except Danny and me, so I put them together for the big dinner.
This Cowboy Beans recipe was handed down to me from my aunt who always had them for cook-outs and bar-b-ques. I grew up really loving them, and she gave me the recipe when I got married. It has never let me down.
Tonight, when the dinner was served, Mr. Fred, who is a super-tough critic, could not get enough of my Cowboy Beans. He said he never wanted plain old baked beans again. I was thrilled. And, Ms. Bobbie asked for a copy of the recipe. To be in a room with an expert cook and several well-groomed taste buds, I was just tickled that I had cooked something that ranked among the best. It was really a flattering moment. Ms. Bobbie and Mr. Fred even had seconds!
So, for those of you who might like a tried and true recipe, I'm including it here. Warning: it makes a huge amount, so this should be saved for larger gatherings...otherwise you'll have leftovers for a month!
Cowboy Beans
1 can pork-n-beans
1 can chili without beans
1 can kidney beans (drained)
1 can Mexican Corn (drained)
1 chopped green bell pepper (I only use half of one...depends on how much you like them)
1 chopped onion (again, I only use half)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Mix all ingredients. Either bake at 325 for one hour or cook in a crock pot until heated through.
I hope you get the chance to make this recipe and enjoy it. It sure has brought a lot of smiles to the tables I've shared with friends and family over the years!
Pregnancy Update:
We are at 31 weeks and 4 days. I can hardly believe how the time is moving along. Tyler will be here before we know it! Here are some comparison pictures for you...
29 weeks
31 weeks, 4 days
Maybe a little lower???
I think Danny's angle was a little different, and he always has me put my arms like this so they're not in the way of the whole belly...that may make a difference, too. I don't know...looks pretty similar to me from 29 weeks.

4 comments:
No, I can tell a difference between the two pictures. Looks like he is sticking out further now. I can't really tell that it is lower, but I think Mr. T is getting bigger.
Can you please have Ms. Bobbie stop by here on her way back home? Or better yet, can't you send Danny with some of her cooking when he heads this way? It sounds like she is rubbing off on you.
Look at you - posting recipes. Before you know it, you and Carter will have your own cookbooks.
I can tell a difference too...You should post a picture with your face as well...I bet you look super cute!
So, I've started my Christmas shopping and I picked up Tyler some cute things...just in case he is here by then..I wouldn't want him to think for one second that Aunt Joy (did you ever come up with a name for me like you threatened?) forgot about him....
Oh, and still no UPS package, but the guy from PackMail called, so I think he has it....this is CRAZY!
I can tell a difference too, you look a bit bigger, but not lower to me. He's a growing little bean!!
Glad you're getting some good home cooked meals! You should get her to make you some stuff for you to freeze to cook later!! And I can't wait to try your recipe-the only difference for me would be I would leave OUT the onion and green pepper!!!! I'm so picky!
Does she live here in Milledgeville? Because I am starving for some food! I have been to nauseous to eat all week, and now I'm hungry and the choices are 1) starve or 2) eat out. Randy ate almost all the food I cooked up for the week.
But look it at you with a good recipe on your blog! And your tummy looks so cute -- you've gained NO WEIGHT at all!
Post a Comment