One of my favorite things about teaching high school has always been homecoming week. As a perpetual cheerleader, I can't get enough of the energy and the vibe that is so palpable this time of year.
Today was the first day of homecoming week at my school, and I just had a blast all day. The halls were decorated by class, and every class worked off the same theme: "Raiders Rock the Gators". The sheer talent that it took to design those hallways is incredible. I wish the halls would always look so fantastic, but I'm sure the sponsors who worked with the kids all weekend to decorate would vote otherwise!
Today's theme was Character Day, so everyone was supposed to dress up as some sort of character. We had quite a variety of characters roaming the halls today, including one of our assistant principals who donned a Spongebob Squarepants costume. Hilarious!
In true Watson fashion, I threw on a Batman shirt and called it a day. I didn't want to go too over-the-top, as I still had to maintain authority and run my classes, but I didn't want to be a party-pooper either.
Tomorrow is Rock-n-Roll day. I really want to be Slash from Guns-n-Roses, but I don't have the time or energy to work that costume out. Instead, I'm thinking about making a necklace out of rocks and toilet paper rolls, but we'll see how I feel in a little while. I might just have to be the party-pooper tomorrow and save my energy for Wacky Tacky Wednesday.
After a fun day at school, I got to come home to my extra-fun babies who will be in high school in the blink of an eye. So, to celebrate their toddlerhood while its here, we had Happy Meals for dinner and ate on the driveway. They giggled. I giggled. We pointed at the moon and the one bright star we could see beginning to appear.
I hope they still want to have picnics in the driveway when they're 16. That would make me so happy. More happy than any homecoming week.
Monday, October 18, 2010
Homecoming and Happy Meals
Posted by The Watsons at 8:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











4 comments:
perpetual cheerleader? Oh, you were so meant to be a high school teacher....
Looks like fun!
I love homecoming week...we had our's a few weeks ago...check out my fb pictures if you haven't already:) Hope you have a great week! We need to catch up soon!!
Yep; I am with JEP. I have zero doubt that you are doing what you were called to do. Teaching during the day, lovin' on those babies in the afternoon/night. Definitely a win/win for all.
And yay for getting Happy Meal in a title! :-)
Post a Comment