As I type, the packers are putting all of our belongings in boxes. The sounds of tape ripping from the rolls, cardboard bending into shape, and doors and drawers opening and closing are filling the air.
Lydie is in her crib napping, surrounded by boxes taller than she can fathom, and Tyler has gone to the recycling center with Danny to empty the excessive amount of recyclable materials we've already accumulated. In the midst of the chaos, I am stealing a moment to catch up on the blog. It's been long neglected with all the moving mania that's been happening, but I have more than enough blog material to keep me busy for days.
Since we married 7 years ago, Danny and I have moved to New Mexico, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, and, now, Florida. That's five moves. In seven years. If you want to get even more technical, that's five pack-ups and almost five unpacks. That's a lot of moving, folks.
And, surprisingly, it never gets easier. No matter how many times we go through this process, it is always a challenge. But, on the bright side, we are always confident that good things await us in the place we're going. That is always the one thing that remains unchanged--God's faithfulness through it all.
A little over a week ago, we received some of the best help we've ever received. My dad and stepmom, Laura, offered to take Tyler and I to Florida to find a new place to live. It's always a good deal when you can have your things delivered right to your new doorstep rather than having it put in storage while you locate housing. With kids, you just have to have housing lined up before you leave the old place. It's a necessity.
Lydie and Danny stayed in Virginia so that she could be sure to get all of her therapy appointments in. I think she gave her daddy a run for his money, but there's no doubt she got the best care in the world.
So, while those two stayed at our current home, Ty and I set off to find a new home.
I wish I could adequately put into words how fabulous our trip was. Dad rented a beautiful condo on Okaloosa Island with a fantastic ocean view, and, while Dad and I hunted houses all over creation, Laura and Megan (my niece), entertained Tyler at the beach, in the pool, and around the splashpark. Amazing.
Tyler had so much fun while we were away. I don't think he's ever slept better, and that's saying a lot because he's a pretty good sleeper on a normal day! He couldn't get enough of the waves splashing on his chest at the beach, and he was in hog heaven with all that sand and a few dump trucks to load and dump. The kid has probably never been happier.
While those three were lounging and playing in the sun, Dad and I must have covered every square inch of ground in and around the area to which we're moving. After the first day, I wasn't sure we were going to have a place to live at all in Florida. But, the second day yielded great results. We now have a cute little house waiting on us to arrive. In my mind, I've been decorating and arranging and organizing ever since we returned home. I can hardly wait to get there and settle in.
For now, though, we have to watch the boxes pile up and wait for the big moving truck to arrive. Maybe then we can take a couple of deep breaths.
Monday, June 21, 2010
Never Gets Easier
Posted by The Watsons at 9:32 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










3 comments:
I heard ya'll had a great time! And the picture of the house looks fabulous :) You and Courtney... beachdwellers. who da thunk it??
donna
Just reading this blog got me so excited. There is something SO exciting about the packout to me....almost as exciting as when that truck pulls up to the new house.
Safe travels to your new home in sunny Florida!!!
I am so glad that you were able to secure a home before the big move. That will provide some relief during this stressful time. It looks like Ty had a fabulous trip. Hope to hear from you soon!
Post a Comment