Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Weekend it Snowed Teething Tablets

According to the Poison Control Center, Hyland's Teething Tablets are considered a homeopathic drug to the extent that a two year old child would have to consume two whole bottles of the tablets before feeling any ill effects, none of which would be severe and/or life-threatening.


But, don't ask me how I know that.

Yesterday, the high temperature hovered between 18 and 19 degrees and we enjoyed a beautiful snowfall beginning at about 9:30 a.m. and ending around dinner time. When all was said and done, we measured five inches of snow on the ground outside. And, despite my fabulous red slippers, and a heater that ran virtually non-stop, my feet were freezing all day and all night long. That's beside the point, I know, but I feel like those of you living in warmer places ought to feel a little empathy for us every now and then.

As the snow was falling outside, I could sense a spirit of discontent brewing within a certain toddler in my house. I quickly handed off all Lydie-related responsibilities to her daddy (which she greatly prefers anyway), and Ty and I set about creating a few Valentine's Day gifts for the grandparents and baking sugar cookies with sprinkles on top.

You didn't think that kid could bake without sprinkles, did you??

Our projects, and a steady flow of laundry duties, kept us entertained and occupied until lunchtime. Mission accomplished.

Today Ty and I played in the snow for about an hour. Well, I say we played. He was more interested in the snow shovel (yes, we finally purchased an appropriate snow shovel!), so instead of making snow angels and snowmen, we shoveled all the sidewalks for our neighbors. I considered it exercise and he considered it a good deed. Since he and I both can come down with a bad case of cabin fever in short time, we were thrilled just to be outside in the warm 25 degree sunshine.

After lunch, it was time for naps for the kiddos and errands for Mommy. I had a few coupons burning holes in my pockets for amazing deals on diapers and I could hardly wait to use them. Thankfully, Lydie took a three hour nap because her brother never went to sleep. But, that's another post for another day (think in terms of doing away with pacifiers---it's been ugly).

Danny called when I was within two miles of home and reported that I should not return without some sort of greasy fuel for his body. In other words, the man had been worn ragged by our oldest child and needed a Big Mac. I can relate to that feeling most days of the week.

We ate, we did bath time, we put the little ones to bed and now Danny is working on the new budget and writing bills, and I am blogging. It's so fun around here, we ought to get three rings to contain it all.

Honestly, this is just the way I like it!

Hope your week gets off to a great start!



Sprinkles!






This girl is so smitten for her daddy that it is ridiculous. It's like I didn't have anything to do with her existence at all!! That's okay, though. They always win me over with their cuteness!


Checking out the new shovel



Overnight, the snow developed the kind of consistency needed for snowmen and snowball fights. There are three big snowmen in the courtyard right now, and Ty threw his fair share of snowballs.


We made a snowkid...mere inches tall.



3 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

BRRRRRRR....that does sound cold.
Wish I had me some of those cookies right now.

Joy Peterson said...

You should put pictures of cookies on a blog where pregnant women or (in my case) women who are considering low card dieting can see...

just saying...

Jamala said...

A new budget...sounds just like Danny Watson.