
When I turned 30 last year, I swore I would never acknowledge that age, and I'd forever be "29 and holding."
But, I changed my tune this year.
Somehow, turning 31 yesterday was liberating. I can't pinpoint why. All I can tell you is 31 feels good, and this new year is off to a great start.
Except for the moment when Mr. Fred alerted me to the sobering fact that I was halfway to 62, I enjoyed a spectacular day. No flowers were delivered to my doorstep. No tangible gifts were given. I didn't even receive a single birthday card (which was partially due to the fact that it was a federal holiday, but I didn't get any today either). It was just a remarkable day; the kind of day that was exactly the opposite of what I would have described the "perfect birthday" as ten years ago.
I woke up and enjoyed a brisk, early morning walk with Mr. Fred, which is always good for the soul in a multitude of ways. When we returned to the house, Ms. Bobbi had cooked a breakfast for champions, and the delicious aroma was a wonderful blessing compared to the stench from the mulch pile Mr. Fred and I had passed on our walk. With a hop in my step, I loaded Ty into the car with the intention of heading to My Gym for a make-up class. Unfortunately, that class never had enough participants enrolled, so it wasn't available.
Never fear. The Starbucks was mere steps away.
Ty has become a pro at how things work at Starbucks. He knew exactly where to find his chocolate milk while I ordered my standard grande non-fat chai latte. With our drinks and a newspaper in hand, we enjoyed a leisurely walk back to the car and an exciting ride home where, not unlike other rides, we pointed out all the trucks, trains, and buses our eyes could see.
Once we were home, we played in the floor until it was Lydie's turn to go to My Gym for a make-up class. Her class was a go, so we played in the ball pit, rolled beach balls back and forth, relaxed in the swing, slid down the slide, and rode on the baby zip-line. I just enjoyed my time with her so much yesterday. It wasn't lost on me that this time last year she wasn't yet where my eyes could see her or my arms could hold her. I am beyond thankful for the blessing of her life.
After Lydie's class, we met Fred, Bobbi, Danny, and Ty at the Japanese restaurant. That was my one request for my birthday...a meal at that divine place. Oh, and it did not disappoint. I shared Hibachi Steak and Shrimp with Tyler and ate every last morsel on my plate. I couldn't have been happier if I'd been a pig in a mud pit. And I was definitely bordering on piggish.
Danny and Mr. Fred took Lydie home and Ms. Bobbi, Ty and I made a quick trip to the Christian bookstore where I scored a wooden Advent calendar I'd had my eye on throughout the holidays for only $16 (originally $49.99). I simply could not pass it up. Then, we returned to the gym so that Ty could enjoy a little bit of free play. It was all very pleasant and fun until it was time to go home for a nap. Then, the cries could be heard 'round the world.
Thankfully, the Lord saw fit to send a fire engine blaring down the road at the exact moment I desperately needed a distraction for a two-year-old's tantrum. We then talked about fire engines and lights and sirens all the way home.
The rest of the day was spent enjoying my family. Since Tyler had an enormous amount of birthday cake left from his party, there was no need to purchase another one for my birthday. So, with the help of our singing Elmo, the birthday song was delivered and two day old cake was consumed.
You couldn't have wiped the grin off my face if you'd tried.
Like I said, I don't know what it was about yesterday, but it was the perfect birthday. I spent one-on-one time with each of my children, ate at my favorite restaurant, and hugged some of the most special people in my life.
I gotta tell ya, 32 better be making big plans because 31 has left some giant shoes to fill!
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Not Just 30 Anymore
Posted by The Watsons at 9:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I love this post! I'm looking forward to 31 as well...I was miserably pregnant when I turned 30....
So sorry I missed sending you b-day wishes! Ugh my brain can get fried at times!! Glad it was a wonderful day.
Glad you had such a special day! I love the picture of you and Ty...so so sweet!
Post a Comment