Thursday, July 12, 2007

My Lovely Baby Bump!


I am sorry I haven't updated since last week. I just feel like my life is so boring compared to that of my friends. But, I will try to entertain you.


Most importantly, a baby bump has sprouted! It still looks like a big ole' fat roll around my middle, but it is definitely round feeling, and Danny is really impressed by it. I have not taken pictures, yet, because from the side, I just look really thick. Once my belly gets bigger than my butt (which we all know will take a while), I will take pictures. My mom says her belly never caught up with her boobs...I'd much rather have that problem!


In other news, I read an entire book within four hours last night in an effort to remain awake until a resonable bedtime (I have tried to rid myself of afternoon/evening naps and some days it is tough). The Color Purple has been on my classics shelf for a long time and I had not read it, so last night seemed as good a time as any to pick it up. Well, I couldn't put it down. I love Alice Walker anyway, and the fact that this book was written in an epistolary format (meaning in diary/letter entries), it was super-simple to read quickly. I did have a few criticisms when I finished, but overall it was an evening well-spent. Plus, I didn't go to bed until 11 p.m.--a little past "reasonable."


Today has been quite busy. After a late bedtime, I got up a 7 a.m. to get ready for a dentist appointment. I had my teeth cleaned this morning and enjoyed a long, lively conversation with the doctor and the receptionist about pregnancy and raising children. They all confirm that my preference for a boy is wise, though I am beginning to feel guilty about that (more on that in another blog). So, my teeth were clean and I enjoyed a little girl-talk AND I had a $67 credit, so I left with a check...excellent visit!


I ran a few errands, read my US Weekly, and had lunch with Danny. Then, I got my hair cut. Pam, my hairdresser, couldn't believe how thick my hair had gotten. She wasn't surprised that in this LA heat I had resorted to nothing but ponytails. Now, I have a style and a LOT of fun layers. It is a little longer in the front and short and choppy in the back. So far, I like it. We'll see if I'm able to fix it in the morning!


While I was with Pam, she suggested that I take a look at a little maternity/baby store in the next shopping center over from her salon. I went over there in hopes of maybe finding some cute maternity clothes. By the way, I hate maternity clothes, but that's another blog, too. When the first price tag on the first shirt I saw said $250, I knew I was way out of my league. So, I politely browsed for a few minutes and left.


I headed to The Moppet Shop a few doors down to check out their baby stuff. It was all quite cute, but I picked up a smocked onesie that had a pricetag of $78. Again, I was out of my league. There were several things in there that I would definitely pay for for special occasion outfits, etc., but overall, everything was WAY out of my budget (though the lady said they will do the monogramming for you for an additional fee!).


Anyway, after another stop at a paper store where a 10-pack of notecards was $25, I decided that I needed to get home. I feel terrible about the cheapo baby gifts I give, and about the all-Target wardrobe my own baby will wear, but I can't justify $100 baby outfits that will be worn once...am I wrong here???


Hope you all have had a blessed day. I'll get some photos up here soon!

5 comments:

Bill said...

Two words: consignment shops.

Unknown said...

Not just consignment shops-I went to Ross and got lots of maternity wear for CHEAP! I'm curious as to why you don't like maternity wear...but YEA for the baby bump! It makes everything seem real now-wait until you feel the first flutter...such an awesome feeling.

Joy Peterson said...

And all of God's people said Amen...to the consignment shop comment.

Do not, I repeat, do not pay full price for more than 1 or 2 smocked outfits. Our dear friend Kyle has turned me on to Ebay as well...they have a ton of cute things on there and most are new and really reasonable!

You'll grow (literally) to learn maternity wear....until the baby drops and then the pants won't stay up. Ross is a great place to look and Old Navy is too...especially if you find the out-of-season sales!

I agree with Rachel--the feeling of your baby moving is the most awesome, amazing feeling in the world - I miss that so much now! Addie won't be still longer than 2 minutes these days. Lord help me when she starts crawling!

You need to start taking baby belly pictures. I promise one day in several months, you'll look back on those photos and can't believe that you were ever so little; especially when you can no longer see your feet, knees or thighs!

Ginger Carter Miller said...

Let me add two more words: YARD SALES. Too bad you don't have a GCSU sale list handy -- people sell all kinds of wonderful things there.

I said this the other day, but I'll say it again -- any day now and you'll feel the flutters...

Unknown said...

Yes, take belly pics-I only took 2 and regret not having more!!! You will look back on them and remember what was happening at that time.