This having a baby thing is quite an adventure. I believe I, and many of my friends and family, have become more familiar with my bodily functions in the last week than we could ever dream possible. Who knew that you’d have to start checking the toilet paper every time you wiped after the potty to be sure there were no odd colors? It’s absolutely disgusting, but it is necessary, and I have found myself praying for clean toilet paper more than anything else during the day. Very odd…
Anyway, here’s what’s been happening, for those of you not on my immediate call list for moral support (those poor people are going to start avoiding my calls very soon, so be glad if you’re not on that list!).
Last Friday, May 18th, Danny and I found out that the Air Force will be moving us to Randolph Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas this summer. Literally, by the end of July, we will be in a new city. I immediately went into a panic over so many things that I couldn’t wrap my head completely around my emotions. However, the top few things that were setting me off were the following:
1. I am freakin’ pregnant. I have a good doctor that I like and a support system created by God that I absolutely rely on. Going to San Antonio means a new doctor, new hospital, and absolutely zero friends or family within a reasonable driving distance.
2. I have the greatest job I could ever imagine. Yes, at the beginning of the year, I was not much into the middle school scene and struggled to find an ounce of appreciation for my students. However, I have found a place I could happily work at for the rest of my career. I have an amazing administration and faculty to work with, and I am hopelessly in love with 60 7th graders. I had already been selected to teach 8th grade honors English next year and was taking a technology course that would provide me with amazing technology that would improve my teaching methodology drastically. On top of that, I had written a grant for a laptop that would also help achieve my techno-savvy classroom, and I received the grant…none of this will I ever even lay eyes on. You cannot imagine the disappointment that comes with busting your tail and discovering that it is all for nothing.
3. I hate moving. It sends me over the edge every single time. I know the Air Force will come and pack my house exactly the way it is…dirty dishes, laundry, and all. But, I cannot do that. I need everything to be in order before the packers ever arrive. I need all the junk to be thrown out because I do not need to move with a bunch of crap…it will just make my life more difficult on the other end. You say, “Put your husband to work.” I say, “Ha, ha, ha.” I have a fabulous husband, but he will be in the yard or on some important Air Force duty when it gets close to moving day. I have done every move solo so far. Why do I think this one will be any different?
4. Where are we going to live? It’s really short notice to be trying to buy a house. You can’t find any on-base housing information out on the internet (and Danny has more important things to do when it comes to this issue). And, I am not living in an apartment or paying more rent than I already pay. This is primarily because we will be on one income for about a year, which puts a serious dent in our spending allowance.
So, with all this stress, I began spotting. Men, ask your wives or significant others to explain this issue if you don’t get it. I had spotting all weekend and through the workday on Monday. I wasn’t too panicked, but I wanted the doctor to know what was going on, so I called her nurse to report the gory details. Low and behold, my doctor put me on bed rest for two days. I nearly passed out. All I could think was: a.) What is wrong with me, and what might be wrong with my baby? b.) I have to work. It’s the last week of school. This is not good timing. c.) Nobody puts baby on bed rest…how high are my feet supposed to be?
Nonetheless, I followed the doctor’s orders and took to the bed/couch. Oh, I forgot to add that Danny is, of course, TDY in Alabama this week, which makes all this insanity even worse. I am not a very good bed rest patient. I am too antsy to sit still, and I can only sleep so much (though I am an expert sleeper). I did pretty well on Tuesday, but today was a different story. My grades had to be put in for report cards today, so I had to head to the school this morning to get it all done. Thankfully, my dear, dear friends were there to make things go quickly and smoothly. And, my sweet children were there to pour on the hugs. It really felt good to get out and about a little bit.
Also, this morning, I called the doctor and demanded to be seen this afternoon. Thankfully, they obliged. At 3:30 p.m. I headed across town and submitted to an ultrasound. Good news! Baby Watson has a little head, arms, and legs, and has even acquired a much more rapid heartbeat. It was very reassuring that he/she is safe and sound and hanging upside-down in my uterus.
Now that my bed rest is over, I still have to take it easy. I’m not good at this slow-paced lifestyle, but I am trying to do my best.
In conclusion, I must say that it takes a really strong person to be a military spouse. This is not for the faint-hearted or weak-spirited. You must love your active duty member more than most people love their spouses because you are bound to be apart for days, weeks, months, and even years. You must be courageous enough to embrace moves across the country and across the world. You must be resourceful enough to find a solution to any dilemma because dilemmas only come around when said spouses are nowhere to be found. I just can’t say enough about the hearts of military spouses. And, on that note, I wish Tessa and The Bachelor all the best as they begin their life as a Navy couple. I hope she knows what she’s in for…
Love to you all!
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
San Antonio, Spotting, and Bed Rest...Oh, my!
Posted by The Watsons at 10:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yippee for Sweet Baby Watson! He/She is stunning in his/her picture. Marrying into the military sure helps you learn to roll with the punches, huh? Take care of yourself and have a wonderful day!
I am so thankful that everyone seems to be doing well now! Can't wait to see you next Friday!
Post a Comment